Help me identify 5 Hitchhikers on my Live Rock from LFS

jcantr0426

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- I am a new hobbyist and am just cycling my first reef tank! I went to my LFS to purchase my live rock, and noticed some interesting hitchhikers. I have done some research and believe one is an Aiptasia anemone- and have read it is recommended to nip those in the bud. But don’t know what the rest of these are? And if they are good or bad?

After a rousing round of Google searching and searching these threads, I thought it best to ask the community for help so I start my tank off as best as possible and avoid any unwanted pests.

We have photos of:
1. Worm like growths- 1 pink and 2 green
2. White soft-bodied sponge or coral? It opens/closes
3. Green-ish grassy-like structures (located only on left side)
4. Finger like structure that looks “squishy” in appearance- I think this one is Aiptasia?
5. Round white domes that looks like they have smaller little balls inside- don’t have fuzzy appearance

Thanks

AF20C863-D9EE-4BE5-A003-096E5C76B6F2.jpeg 3EC2FA4F-105C-4B97-8815-238FA6E40273.jpeg 698565F9-07D2-4637-BA98-1059E66C226F.jpeg 35EE01ED-C3B9-44C0-A3B9-C2DF691C92E3.jpeg 9FB0DAA5-A44D-45C7-9ACB-C866A226F4B6.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. SMall vermitid worm species. I never worry about them myself but if they bother you you can use a syringe with a small needle and H2O2 and inject it to kill the worm inside.
2. Looks like a Pinapple Sponge, beneficial.
3. Looks like small colony of a species of tiny featherduster worm.
4. Yup, aiptasia. I use a syringe with a small needle and superglue gel to kill them, it's messy though.
5. Tethis sponges, beneficial.

All the yellow sponges you see on the rock are very beneficial cryptic sponges and remove and recycle labile DOC. Here's some videos you may find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jcantr0426

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. SMall vermitid worm species. I never worry about them myself but if they bother you you can use a syringe with a small needle and H2O2 and inject it to kill the worm inside.
2. Looks like a Pinapple Sponge, beneficial.
3. Looks like small colony of a species of tiny featherduster worm.
4. Yup, aiptasia. I use a syringe with a small needle and superglue gel to kill them, it's messy though.
5. Tethis sponges, beneficial.

All the yellow sponges you see on the rock are very beneficial cryptic sponges and remove and recycle labile DOC. Here's some videos you may find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Thank you so much for your reply, and for all the informative videos. I will be taking care of the aiptasia before it gets out of control.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back