Help me identify my dinos

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I thought I had a diatom/cyano problem the past few months but I eventually got a microscope and was shocked to find that it was actually dinos.

Sounds like different types of dinos respond better to UV than others. I already have a uv plumbed to my return line, but apparently it's not doing anything. I'm working on getting my nutrients up. Any recommendations for what else I can do based on the type that I have?

20200331_210228.jpg 20200331_210240.jpg 20200331_210653.jpg Screenshot_20200402-201804_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• 20200331_210322.mp4
    23.4 MB
OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a closer video

Attachments

• 20200331_211546_1_Trim.mp4
    8 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small cell amphidinium dinos in that final video you posted.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would Silica dosing work better for that than the UV?
I battled these same buggers fir abit a year... now finally my tank looks great again.

I've tried about everything. Small cell amphidinium do go into the water column at night, but it doesn't seem as much as say ostreopsis. So, UV will help.

A 3 day blackout won't work with them. I did a 5 1/2 day blackout in one tank and they returned. But, it will get them to suspended into the water column, though. Something I think might work that I didn't try was to run a UV sterilizer during a blackout to see if that would knock them into submission.

I raised no3 to around 10-20ppm and po4 to around 0.10ppm. I also introduced Microbacter7 numerous times... no improvement observed. I also added lots of pods... didn't see an improvement. I also dosed silica daily for a month or so with no noticeable improvement... didn't even see a diatom bloom during this!

What worked for me to give a noticeable erradication? I did the Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano treatment with microbubbles. This knocked my small cell amphidinium dinos, but allowed some ostreopsis to take hold, as well as green cyano. But, i now run a 57w Aqua UV with a MJ1200 pump in the DT and that knocked out the ostreopsis dinos. So, finally a beautiful clean tank with some green cyano issues... which im happy to deal with vs dinos!

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled these same buggers fir abit a year... now finally my tank looks great again.

I've tried about everything. Small cell amphidinium do go into the water column at night, but it doesn't seem as much as say ostreopsis. So, UV will help.

A 3 day blackout won't work with them. I did a 5 1/2 day blackout in one tank and they returned. But, it will get them to suspended into the water column, though. Something I think might work that I didn't try was to run a UV sterilizer during a blackout to see if that would knock them into submission.

I raised no3 to around 10-20ppm and po4 to around 0.10ppm. I also introduced Microbacter7 numerous times... no improvement observed. I also added lots of pods... didn't see an improvement. I also dosed silica daily for a month or so with no noticeable improvement... didn't even see a diatom bloom during this!

What worked for me to give a noticeable erradication? I did the Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano treatment with microbubbles. This knocked my small cell amphidinium dinos, but allowed some ostreopsis to take hold, as well as green cyano. But, i now run a 57w Aqua UV with a MJ1200 pump in the DT and that knocked out the ostreopsis dinos. So, finally a beautiful clean tank with some green cyano issues... which im happy to deal with vs dinos!

Looks interesting, but wouldn't the vodka dosing lower my nitrates more than they already are? I can't really get an airline to the outside. I don't think my landlord would appreciate me drilling holes through my wall to the outside. I do have a CO2 scrubber. Can I connect it to that? If so, how do I do that?

My thread might help you..
I believe you have Ostreopsis dinos..

What did you do to raise your nutrients? Did you dose nitrates and phosphates or feed more?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks interesting, but wouldn't the vodka dosing lower my nitrates more than they already are? I can't really get an airline to the outside. I don't think my landlord would appreciate me drilling holes through my wall to the outside. I do have a CO2 scrubber. Can I connect it to that? If so, how do I do that?

The vodka dosing does reduce nitrates during the week of treatment, but just fed heavily afterwards or dose with sodium nitrate afterwards... which is what I did.

I didn't run the airline outside either... my pH stayed up high enough that I didn't have to worry about the reduced oxygen/ increased co2 during the treatment. Some have had to do the treatment a few times... the first time, just don't go 100%, maybe cut it to 75% and see if the results helped. If it helped and some dinos remain, then run it again.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I dosed Loudwolf Sodium Nitrate and Seachem's Flourish Phosphorous to raise my levels.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back