Help me make my own Lanthanum Chloride

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would not rely on a skimmer as your mechanism for precipitate removal.

I would also create a more dilute solution to reduce the risk of overdosing due to error on my part.

I'm no expert in the subject, but I recall that dosing over time allows for more efficient removal of phosphate vs the alternate reactions that occur (like creating lanthanum carbonate when there is no phosphate in the immediate area). dosing over time also allows a skimmer to be effective at removing precipitates.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would not rely on a skimmer as your mechanism for precipitate removal.

I would also create a more dilute solution to reduce the risk of overdosing due to error on my part.

I'm no expert in the subject, but I recall that dosing over time allows for more efficient removal of phosphate vs the alternate reactions that occur (like creating lanthanum carbonate when there is no phosphate in the immediate area). dosing over time also allows a skimmer to be effective at removing precipitates.
My thread on a LaCl reactor I built was posted earlier. The beauty of using a dedicated reactor is it allows you to control and remove the precipitate. Although inert, the precipitate will affect phosphate tests like Hanna. Not removing the precipitate adequately can result in situations where you think you have an acceptable amount of phosphate, but your corals can't use it as it is bound to Lanthanum. Which can leave you phosphate deficient and not realize it.

Yes, dosing slow is the way to go. Lanthanum is going to bind with something, so using a method that adds it very slowly and controlled with ample phosphate in the vicinity will allow it to act as a brake on the phosphate level, dragging it slowly down. If you see any impact on alkalinity, then you have dosed it too fast and not enough phosphate was available and carbonate was used instead.

Dennis

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although inert, the precipitate will affect phosphate tests like Hanna. Not removing the precipitate adequately can result in situations where you think you have an acceptable amount of phosphate, but your corals can't use it as it is bound to Lanthanum. Which can leave you phosphate deficient and not realize it.
Are you sure this is true? I don’t believe this.

@Randy Holmes-Farley Will lanthanum chloride percipient affect phosphate test kits? I would assume bound phosphates wouldn’t show on the test kit because it is not actively in the water column.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this is true? I don’t believe this.

@Randy Holmes-Farley Will lanthanum chloride percipient affect phosphate test kits? I would assume bound phosphates wouldn’t show on the test kit because it is not actively in the water column.
Yes, I confirmed this using unfiltered water containing reacted LaCl from my reactor. You can see it here ( Detecting unfiltered Lanthanum Phosphate ). I should have taken photos, but the Hanna vial turned a deep, deep purple, practically opaque after the reagent is added to water that has a high concentration of reacted LaCl.

Dennis

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back