Help me out of this slump!

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't backup my statement, but I am tempted to say I'd acid wash or bleach your rock if I could. But then again, what if that doesn't fix it! I guess at this point your only option is to go through process of elimination.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched skimmers last year and tunze ato, new gyres.
Only thing not changed is a danner return pump and the chiller. If either of those are the problem I would think it would show on the triton (metals)
Other then that nothings in the water

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, it gets really hard to be in this hobby sometimes. When faced with a situation like yours I would determine everything that is different between frag tank and display. It's normal to make assumptions based on experience but don't, remove, inspect every piece that is not the same as your frag tank, carefully. With everything you have done, been thru it has to be something that is NOT the same as your frag tank, only thing that makes sense. Again, if any doubts or as a double check, swap the piece of equipment from your display to your frag tank and vice versa. If the problem moves, bingo! You found it. Good luck. P.S. Some very toxic metals may not be part of a Triton test but be in these new super magnets.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss if you took GFO offline? I read that you were using it.

Have you tried the KISS approach? Just get rid of the GFO and any other dosing and let your nutrients shoot up a bit? Rule out the coral starvation part, those monti's looked like mine did when starved.

What lights are you using again?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, it gets really hard to be in this hobby sometimes. When faced with a situation like yours I would determine everything that is different between frag tank and display. It's normal to make assumptions based on experience but don't, remove, inspect every piece that is not the same as your frag tank, carefully. With everything you have done, been thru it has to be something that is NOT the same as your frag tank, only thing that makes sense. Again, if any doubts or as a double check, swap the piece of equipment from your display to your frag tank and vice versa. If the problem moves, bingo! You found it. Good luck. P.S. Some very toxic metals may not be part of a Triton test but be in these new super magnets.
Ill get a new return pump, itz 8 or 10 years old. (As old as the system) but other than that. I have been thinking about cutting all my corals of the rocks and tosing the rock.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss if you took GFO offline? I read that you were using it.

Have you tried the KISS approach? Just get rid of the GFO and any other dosing and let your nutrients shoot up a bit? Rule out the coral starvation part, those monti's looked like mine did when starved.

What lights are you using again?
Gfo has only been running for the time i have been cleaning up the tank.(blowing detritus out of the rocks) nutrients were alittle high, thats what triggered me to clean up and run some gfo. That picture of the montis was the first indicator something was off. I dont have a recent pic but ill take one tonight.
I have only ever run a sump and skimmer , dose 2part thats it.
Heres a pic of a A.valida that I have been watching die slowly
20171207_190336.jpg

Here is a top down of the same coral at the first signs it wasnt happy. In the pic you can see the tips burnt but also see the base receding.
Screenshot_20171208-055725.png

Last edited:

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you adding water back to the tank during a water change? Is it possible a pump you are using to return water to the system is leaking voltage or leaching metal and causing an issue? You may also want to look at where you are mixing the new saltwater. Could you be using a pump that is leaching something to mix your saltwater. Could the container be leaching something?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you adding water back to the tank during a water change? Is it possible a pump you are using to return water to the system is leaking voltage or leaching metal and causing an issue? You may also want to look at where you are mixing the new saltwater. Could you be using a pump that is leaching something to mix your saltwater. Could the container be leaching something?
I mix about 30 gal at a time in a brute can the water gets split up between 2 systems. I never leave it in the mixing container for more than 12 hours. And its all gravity feed and hand mixed

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i never found a smoking gun so to speak. This system is now basically a fowler. Other than a red planet base thats about the size of a softball, a duncan and a couple incrusting lps, all corals have been cut off and moved to the frag tank. I guess i made it in time to recover all that moved cause all are rebounding. All the levels in the frag tank matched the main so the transition was easy. Ill be breaking down the main to move sometime in the next few weeks and will try to identify a cause.
On the flipside im going to be cycling my 180 and finishing the build for this new system in the new house.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you were able to save your corals. As I mentioned before, I can't backup my statement, but I am still leaning towards your rock leeching something. Still interested to find out what was the anomaly between the DT and the frag tank.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you were able to save your corals. As I mentioned before, I can't backup my statement, but I am still leaning towards your rock leeching something. Still interested to find out what was the anomaly between the DT and the frag tank.
Not sure ill ever be able to find out what if anything is leaching from the rocks. At break down maybe something will show

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back