help me pick out my a good anemone!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everybody! i dont know too much about anemone species so thats why im asking everybody about this!

i want to get a anemone for my clowns but im a little worried about one that will get huge and harm my corals.
is there any anemones that stay in a 3-5 inch range and stays mainly in the sand or doest move much?
if not, what would be a good host coral for them in your experience?

thanks everyone!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any anemones that stay in a 3-5 inch range and stays mainly in the sand or doest move much?
Sadly no host anemones will stay that size and all of them can and most likely will move around. Bubble tips are usually the easiest as they split and then you can pull the splits out to sell them. Long tentacle will go into the sand but they can get big pretty fast and around 12"+ in size.

Anemones should also only go into tanks 9+ months of age otherwise they usually dont make it. I think it has to do with biological stability that only comes from mature tanks.

I never had my clownfish in anything other than anemones as I have found a pretty bulletproof method to get them hosting, but I would go with a medium size toadstool coral with long polyps. You dont want them in something like a torch coral as they can easily kill the coral by accident. No guarantee that they will host in corals either though

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! i knew that its hit or miss with them hosting a coral but i wanted an anemone because i think its cute with them in it

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no host anemones will stay that size and all of them can and most likely will move around. Bubble tips are usually the easiest as they split and then you can pull the splits out to sell them. Long tentacle will go into the sand but they can get big pretty fast and around 12"+ in size.

Anemones should also only go into tanks 9+ months of age otherwise they usually dont make it. I think it has to do with biological stability that only comes from mature tanks.

I never had my clownfish in anything other than anemones as I have found a pretty bulletproof method to get them hosting, but I would go with a medium size toadstool coral with long polyps. You dont want them in something like a torch coral as they can easily kill the coral by accident. No guarantee that they will host in corals either though
so I knew that they love torchs too much but what about a hammer or frogspawn? will they also nuzzle those to death?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hello everybody! i dont know too much about anemone species so thats why im asking everybody about this!

i want to get a anemone for my clowns but im a little worried about one that will get huge and harm my corals.
if not, what would be a good host coral for them in your experience?

thanks everyone!
Best choices are bubble tip (BTA) and long tentacle but allow tank to mature to at least 6 months and chart your parameters mainly nitrate-phos-temp- ammonia which should be constantly steady month 4-6 as these anemones do not fare well with immature systems subject to chemistry changes and even water changes which are more frequent when tank is newer.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 7-8 months old so i'll look into BTA but once they "pick their spot" will they move around much?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips are pretty easy to care for and will move to their desirable places. I find that , once they settle, they tend to not move around much.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! i knew that its hit or miss with them hosting a coral but i wanted an anemone because i think its cute with them in it
Until they become territorial and attack you every time your hands are in the tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what about a sebae anemone? i do like those
Sebae get incredibly large (at least crispa the more common ones malu stay smaller and live on sand but hard to tell apart). Sebae are also more likely to eat fish and are significantly more challenging thank bubble tips and ltas from what I hear

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the basic rule with anemone is that once adding, they own the tank. There's no correct answer on if they'll wander or not. If they do, the corals need to be moved, not the nem. While BTA will host clowns, it's not a natural pairing for some. It may happen, it may not. In my case it took over 2 years for them to pair.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! so i will definitly look into BTA and if i decide not not get one, what would be a good coral that they might host?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with BTA and condylactis. Clowns will host anything though and I’ve had pairs in toadstools, GSP, torches, hammers, etc. The best/easiest to care for is duncan and my clowns adored their little 5 head colony

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with BTA and condylactis. Clowns will host anything though and I’ve had pairs in toadstools, GSP, torches, hammers, etc. The best/easiest to care for is duncan and my clowns adored their little 5 head colony
i do like most of those corals so ill try to get one of each (hammer,hairy rhodactis, duncan etc) and see if they pick one.
thanks everyone for you input!

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown doesn't gravitate toward anything in my tank. Have large Rhodactis, large frogspawn, and (thankfully as would be expected) no interest in my 2 large (5+ inches) rock flower anemones. I'm happy that he doesn't feel the need for companionship.

Back