AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

A while back I made the mistake of purchasing a Colorado Sunburst BTA... Here's the story: (if you wanna skip straight to my struggle go right to the end)

I was excited. I had a very successful nano softy tank with 2 clowns and I was driving home with my very first anemone... A beautiful black widow. I took it home and followed proper acclimation protocol, and placed it into the tank. One week later I magically had two as the nem had split!! I was ecstatic! I had just spent $250 on a nem and now I have 2?! "Nems are amazing moneymakers and they're gorgeous too! I should buy nicer ones" I thought to myself.
Fast forward a month or so and one of my favorite fish stores was having a live sale during quarantine and I was determined to secure the grand prize... A beautiful Colorado Sunburst BTA. After connecting my computer to the Ethernet to ensure the best connection possible, I bid on a couple coral to make sure I was the fastest bidder... and then the time came for the CSB... as soon as I could, I texted the code number to reserve it and I won!! I had never been thrilled to drop so much money on an aquatic creature before.
There isn't a TON of information out about CSBs unfortunately so I thought raising one would be like raising other nems... Oh was I wrong... after following proper acclimation protocol I placed it into my tank with my black widow. Within a week I noticed it getting upset so I moved it into another tank that had green bubble tips. It was doing okay in that tank and I figured it was recovering so I left it there for a while... Made sure it was getting good light and a little flow, and occasionally fed it. I noticed it starting to get a bit clear and I got worried. One of my green bubble tips made its way into the overflow and got a bit ripped up but nothing too serious but I took this as an opportunity to get both the nems out of that tank because I had read recently that CSB likes to be with it's own kind only. Over the next couple months it started getting it's bubbles back and looking less stringy and more like the beautiful BTA it's supposed to look like... And then I sold the tank it was in and transferred it to a brand new tank that I started from scratch but using the same live rock, water, sand and media. I made sure everything settled for a couple weeks and added some nitrifying bacteria before adding corals, don't worry. But I placed the nem in the tank and within 2 weeks it had retracted it's tentacles and was squished between the rock and some diatoms on the sandbed. I 3D printed it a nem cage out of reef safe ABS and placed it in there in a medium shaded spot at the top of the tank (because it kept moving away from the light) and here we are. This was about 2 weeks ago.

The problem at hand: I have a $1k nem that looks like a red booger instead of the gorgeous masterpiece I received, and I am desperately trying to save it. I am running carbon 24/7, I have a skimmer, chaeto in the back, am doing weekly water changes, am running phosguard in a little box in the tank, and have a LOT of live rock in there. The tank is a nano mixed reef 13.5 gallon with a Radion xr15 pro. SPS is pretty happy, LPS is happy, softies are overjoyed. Tank is as stable as I can get it right now, parameters are solid and I can update the post with those when I get to testing in a couple days. Any advice would be phenomenal. My beautiful nem, I just feel so so bad. I want to bring it back to its former glory so my baby clowns and I can enjoy it and watch it grow. It's foot seems okay, it does eat when I feed it reef roids or the tiniest piece of mysis, but it has no tentacles. It can still move, and fairly fast too (when I turn the little nem box so it's no longer in the shadow, I find it moved to the shadowy spot again). I know it's alive and I know it's hanging on by an ever thinning rope but I will not give up and I would appreciate the help and support of this awesome community to help save this nem! Thanks all!!!

(The attached photos are in chronological order by date)

20200321_150020.jpg 20200328_041431.jpg 20200403_224635.jpg 20200321_150607(0).jpg 20200401_182844.jpg 20200413_160946.jpg 20200420_195737.jpg 20200623_145953.jpg

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I agree let it settle down bubble tips rarely get bacterial infections that are fatal but it does happen I’m treating a wild bubble tip right now :/

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree to just let it settle. The high end nems seem to take along time to recover after events like this. It doesn't look like a bacterial infection to me so I don't think cipro will gain you anything. I've brought them back from that condition several times. Just be patient and don't overfeed.

OP
OP
AceShadow_Reefer

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the CSB now looks like the very last photo I posted EXCEPT not a trace of orange... It's been a month or so now, maybe 2... It is alive, and it moves to darkness whenever I move its basket to where it would be in the light more... My levels are normal, I am still keeping SPS LPS and Softies alive and well. Any further suggestions other than to just wait? Tank has pods and tons of stomatella snails, purple Coraline forming on the once dry rock.... I just miss my showpiece nem...

Thanks!

sullyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, one of the hardest lessons to learn in this hobby. It's stressed but will be fine. Watch it but leave it alone to find it's happy place

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it alone and don't obsess over it.

r+o reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the CSB now looks like the very last photo I posted EXCEPT not a trace of orange... It's been a month or so now, maybe 2... It is alive, and it moves to darkness whenever I move its basket to where it would be in the light more... My levels are normal, I am still keeping SPS LPS and Softies alive and well. Any further suggestions other than to just wait? Tank has pods and tons of stomatella snails, purple Coraline forming on the once dry rock.... I just miss my showpiece nem...

Thanks!
Did your CSB recover?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back