Help me silence my Waterbox overflow...fluctuating level problem and air getting in the drain (Video)

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just got my new Waterbox 130.4 a couple of weeks ago and this is my first tank with a sump. Waterbox claims that there overflows are dead silent and others seem to agree but I can't get it to silence no matter what I do.

Here is the equipment

Aquarium WaterBox 130.4 with Herbie Overflow and 40 gallon sump
Overflow box with Herbie design, 1 inch pipes (but metric equivalent)
Vectra S2 Return Pump
MP40 Pumps x 2

I know the basic theory. So, basically, open the drain all the way then make small adjustments until a trickle is going in the emergency/secondary pipe. If too much water is going in the overflow then open the gate valve a little and if no water is going in the emergency/secondary and the water level drops towards the main drains then close the gate valve a little and give it some time between adjustments to balance out. That all sounds good in theory but it is not working for me.

I have calibrated my Vectra S2 DC pump, the drain pipes are an inch or so below the water level in the sump, the emergency/secondary drain pipe in overflow is 1/2 to 1 inch below the weir teeth. The main drain is another 4-5 inches below the emergency drain. The pipes were all cut and sized and shipped by @Waterbox Aquariums so I trust they know what they are doing.

Here is the main problem. No matter how precisely I try to match the flow using the gate valve the water level in the overflow box doesn't stay constant. If I had my gate valve open too little then water will constantly be flowing in the emergency drain. If I had it open too much then water will be dropping to the main drain pipe and I will get gurgling sounds. However, what I observe is that the water level drops about 1/2 inch below the secondary drain then it slowly rises over the next 2-3 minutes and then begins to flow in the emergency drain and then I get a flushing sound then it drops back 1/2 inch below the emergency drain and then rises again. This pattern keeps on repeating and no amount of gate valve adjustments seems to fix it. (See the video below which shows this fluctuation)

What I think is happening is that air gets in the main drain and reduces the water passing through it. This makes the water level rise and eventually when it reaches high enough, it is able to flush that air out due to extra height above the drain. Once the air is flushed then the water level drops and then the process starts all over again. Now, the question is how is the air getting in the main drain? The main drain is completely submerged and running for a long time so it has had time to purge all the air from pipe (theoretically). I don't see any vortex forming in the overflow that could suck the air, yet you will see in the video that tiny bubbles are constantly coming out of the main drain in the sump. The only possible cause I can think of is that the waterfall in the overflow box is creating some bubbles and those bubbles are getting sucked down in the main drain where they get trapped and reduce the flow of water until the water level rises enough to flush them out which causes the water level to drop causing bigger waterfall which creates bubbles in overflow and that process repeats.

One other observation I had was that when I turn off my MP40s, I am able to balance the flow much better and I can get it to almost silence and I don't get the fluctuating levels in the overflow. Now, I am not really generating a lot of waves on the surface of the water but maybe it is occasionally pushing too much water in the overflow? I even tried to move the MP40's lower but that doesn't have any effect. Now, I cannot turn off the pumps. What could be the solution? See at the end of the video where I got the overflow to be silent with the pumps off. This also means that the Vectra return pump is fine and the fluctuating water level is not because of the variance in return flow.

a) I was thinking to place something in the overflow box to break the waterfall so it doesn't generate the bubbles which could be sucked down in the drain
b) Raise the emergency drain a little bit so the water level is always higher and has enough volume of water above the main drain to flush any air that gets in. I was thinking to add 2 90 degree couplers but there is very little room on top as you can see in the video due to the return pipe above and because Waterbox uses metric pipes so it will be hard to find
c) I could cut the main drain and move it lower to achieve the same effect (volume of water above it will increase to flush the air but there is a strainer on top and I am not sure if it is glued or slip-on)
d) figure out some other way

I am open to your ideas on what is causing this fluctuating water level and how to fix it. Many thanks in advance.

Here is the video
Video showing what's happening ....

Here are a couple of pictures. Don't mind the scape, I just threw some rocks in there for now since I am going on vacation for 3 weeks and didn't have time to build a proper scape. I will do it when I come back.

PXL_20211210_042359245.jpg
PXL_20211210_042412231.jpg

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve on the Main over flow pipe ? If so you need to adjust that to find the happy medium can be a pain in the ***. Allow about 5 mins after each adjustment to allow it to settle

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the top of you emergency over flow should be level with the overflow comb. Can’t tell properly but looks like it’s below it to me.

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve on the Main over flow pipe ? If so you need to adjust that to find the happy medium can be a pain in the ***. Allow about 5 mins after each adjustment to allow it to settle
Yes, I do have the gate valve and as I explained above I have already done that. It is not a problem of too little or too much water going in the drain, it is the problem of fluctuating water volume. When I turn off the MP40's I can absolutely silence the drains with adjustment of gate valve but when I turn them on, the air gets trapped in the drain (watch the video) and I can't get it to balance out

PITA TANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had same thing with my waterbox 90.3. There is a sweet spot using the gate valve. Have to adjust every now and then. Usually it's just letting me know its time to clean the return pump. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had same thing with my waterbox 90.3. There is a sweet spot using the gate valve. Have to adjust every now and then. Usually it's just letting me know its time to clean the return pump. Good luck!
It's a new tank and pump and the fact that I can ge it to silence with mp40s off and not with mp40s on tells me it's not a return pump issue

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try 50 percent and see how it goes, use those MP40's to move your water around to the overflow, not so much the return pump. Those gate valves can be touchy. Literally a 1/8 of a turn in my case makes a difference between the emergency drain noise and near silence.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have my WAVs too high a variable flow, it can cause this phenomenon.

1. Make sure your return pump is set at the flow you intend on using during regular operation. (non-feed, etc).
  2. Make sure you have your powerheads tuned to your liking.
  3. Once those are set, you’re ready to tune the flow rate of the overflow.
  4. Use the method you describe:
    1. If you have variable rate return flow, or your power heads are variable and have too high a setting you will get the noise you describe.
    2. When you tune the overflow, turn the valve only slightly (<mm).
    3. Observe for one to two minutes.
    4. Adjust one way or the other until you achieve silence during regular operation.
    5. FWIW I keep water level about 1/4” above the main drain which leaves the backup drain a few inches above overflow chamber water line.
  5. If you start hearing noise after a period of silence, you want to check for obstruction somewhere. Any change in flow rate for the system can cause the flow to go out of whack cause the noise to recur. Fix it and it will return to normal. Things like clogged filters, blocked weir teeth on over flow or refugium, dirty impellers, etc.
I have the Waterbox Peninsula 7225. I know they’re not identical, but it’s what I do for total silence.

Last edited:

PITA TANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new tank and pump and the fact that I can ge it to silence with mp40s off and not with mp40s on tells me it's not a return pump issue
Did you say emergency overflow is below the comb? Mine is above. My water level is almost even with my emergency drain. When water level goes a little lower that's when I get the bubbles and noise.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the gate valve on the main drain line slowly until the water level inside the overflow box is just underneath the VERY top of the safety drain. This should make the overflow whisper quiet. If you still have trouble, try reducing the pump flow to make sure its correct for the drain size of your aquarium. We will be happy to help walk you through this one on one if you need additional assistance-- you can call 1 (888) 438-7490 and our team will be able to assist you ASAP.

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the gate valve on the main drain line slowly until the water level inside the overflow box is just underneath the VERY top of the safety drain. This should make the overflow whisper quiet. If you still have trouble, try reducing the pump flow to make sure its correct for the drain size of your aquarium. We will be happy to help walk you through this one on one if you need additional assistance-- you can call 1 (888) 438-7490 and our team will be able to assist you ASAP.
So what do you suggest, should the trickle of water be constantly going in the emergency drain or not? It appears you are suggesting the the emergency drain should be dry

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you suggest, should the trickle of water be constantly going in the emergency drain or not? It appears you are suggesting the the emergency drain should be dry
Sounds to me like that’s what they are saying to run the emergency pipe dry. I personally have a trickle as this acts as a surface skim

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same issue happened in my tank (not a waterbox) It's really about fine tuning the valve. becuase at first I thought my tank had a malfunction. The valve is sensitive it needs micro centimeters of adjusting. Mine took about a month of me playing around with it until I found the perfect one. I also have a wave maker and the wave is about 1 inch high, and managed to re-adjust the valve into draining in silence.

Cstarling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get this worked out/silenced? I’ve set my WB 5526 back up after a two year break and am having the same exact issue.
The single drain can only handle so much water coming down the pipe may need to reduce the The speed on your return pump

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back