help me stock my tank(fish already paid for)

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what im looking for is an order of introduction on what i already paid for and what i will be transferring.

already have in NanoCube 28:
3" Lawnmower Blenny
2.5" Lyretail Anthias Female
3" Yellowtail Fusilier
1.5" Six Line Wrasse(may or may not come to new tank)
1.25" Blue/Green Chromis

bought for new tank(I asked for larger juveniles on the Tangs but we'll see whats there tomorrow when i go to pick up sand):
Melanarus Wrasse Male(may swap for Lyretail Anthias male as Melanarus is possibly NOT Reef Safe)
Lavender Tang
Powder Blue Tang(may swap for Powder Brown or Naso)
Mimic Lemonpeel Tang
One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
Red Emperor Snapper
Goldflake Maroon Clown
Coral Beauty Angel
two Diamond Gobies

tank will contain 80lbs live sand, and about 40lbs live rock islands and caves mixed with 65lbs Caribsea Liferock 24" Arch XL and Coral Tree. a LOT of room to swim, hide, or a bit of both. will cycle with Dr Tims and then start pumping in copepods and fire up refugium. Sump will house 13x13" chamber with Reef Octopus 202S and 5x13" Refugium with a Kessil H80 and probably Chaeto. Flow includes 1,900GPH return pump(cranked down to probably 600ish) with twin RFG nozzles and 3x 1,050 GPH wavemakers. Lighting is twin Current USA Orbit Pro 48" light bars roughly 4-6"" from surface, should be adequate for Soft and LPS and a select few properly positioned SPS.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with a Melanurus is that it is reef safe. Mine has never bothered any of my corals and i had never heard anything about them not being reef safe. Now, if u want to keep hermit crabs, that's a different story. GL with the new build.

p.s. What size of tank? It's early and maybe I missed it. ;)

OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with a Melanurus is that it is reef safe. Mine has never bothered any of my corals and i had never heard anything about them not being reef safe. Now, if u want to keep hermit crabs, that's a different story. GL with the new build.

p.s. What size of tank? It's early and maybe I missed it. ;)
I knew there was something unsafe about the Melanarus that had me thinking it was something i need to exchange. its a 100 Gallon Red Sea
Snappers and fusiliers get huge, id be worried about them eating the gobies, anthias, chromis and 6 line
most of these fish will get too large for this size tank. my plan isn't to keep them forever, but to enjoy them while they are still suitable and then trade in/up
also 6 lines are generally incompatible with other wrasses.
Agreed. I would never put a 6 line in my tank and especially with other wrasses.
thats where im on the fence on whether to keep the 6 line or keep the Melanarus, but not both.

thanks for the tips so far. still looking for advice on an order though ;)

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmross13 what are you using to hold the fiah that you are concerned about order of introduction? I recommend quarantining and monitoring your fish in groups of 2-4 fiah based on size and size of quarantine Tank. One fish with velvet can wipe out an entire tank. If you choose not to quarantine, at least use safety stop. For ammonia concerns, I would introduce a few fish at a time only and then wait a week and before introducing the next few fish. Do so in order of aggression level from peaceful to more aggressive. Conspecifics should go in at the same time to prevent any one from claiming the entire tank as their territory before the others have a chance. As far as the wrasse goes, melanarua or a choris wrasse are cheap insurance against coral pests, as long as you have a sand bed. Your CUC never really lasts long anyways, and you’ll need to replenish at least annually regardless of if you go with a haleochorus type wrasse or not. If you go bare bottom now or in the future I recommend the six line. A little rambunctious but also effective pest control. But once again, proper quarantine with good use of coral dips can also prevent these in the first place.

OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using the fish store tanks. they have been quarantining them all and getting them trained to eat the same food(Mysis) while my fishless cycle completes, which it did yesterday and i added all the old fish from small tank. will check water paramaeters tomorrow and again friday or saturday before picking up one new fish from fish store, the red emperor snapper i was told

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmross13 for fish introduction I would do the following order, batches and timing up to you if yo. But once again, I cannot stress enough the importance of good quarantine procedures, or at least using safety stop.

1st: your current tank inhabitants
2nd: snapper, clown, angel, & gobies
3rd: all of the tangs, all at once.

Good luck on your new tank

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using the fish store tanks. they have been quarantining them all and getting them trained to eat the same food(Mysis) while my fishless cycle completes, which it did yesterday and i added all the old fish from small tank. will check water paramaeters tomorrow and again friday or saturday before picking up one new fish from fish store, the red emperor snapper i was told
Personally have had bad luck with fish store quarantine procedures in the past, but to each there own. There are a lot of good LFS out there though.

OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmross13 for fish introduction I would do the following order, batches and timing up to you if yo. But once again, I cannot stress enough the importance of good quarantine procedures, or at least using safety stop.

1st: your current tank inhabitants
2nd: snapper, clown, angel, & gobies
3rd: all of the tangs, all at once.

Good luck on your new tank
thats basically what fish guy said. one this week, two per week moving forward
Personally have had bad luck with fish store quarantine procedures in the past, but to each there own. There are a lot of good LFS out there though.
i figured it was better than no quarantine. they are spread out in 3 tanks at store, most have been there since last week of November, so i feel pretty confident.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, better than no quarantine. Just sharing my experience. Some of us get lucky in this hobby, I usually don’t. Seems like any time I try to shortcut my better judgement I pay the price.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back