Help me understand relationship between UV sterilizer and sump flow

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will be interested in adding a UV sterilizer to my future new tank. According to the manufacturer, it is recommended to adjust the flow depending on what it is you want to sterilize. For example high flow rate for algae and low flow rate for Protozoa bacteria. I was under the impression it was always better to have high flow through the sump in order to better filter the tank. If so, would lowering the flow to follow the UV recommendation for algae diminish the sumps ability overall ?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean it will require a dedicated pump just for the UV ?
Ideally, yes because like you mentioned, there are reasons to run it different rates to solve different issues.

Running high flow through the sump doesn’t always do much. All you want to achieve is to ensure enough turn over to keep the water chemistry consistent.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean it will require a dedicated pump just for the UV ?
You do not need a dedicated pump, but you do need a feed from the return pump to the UV and then back into your return plumbing, with a valve to control the flow through the UV.

Then you can adjust the UV flow to whatever you want, with the balance of the flow bypassing the UV and going straight back to the tank.

You need to size the UV itself so that even with the low flow, it get's to turn over the tank volume 2-3 times per hour at whaever flow rate is necessary to control whichever type of protozoa (if that's what you're trying to do). Keep in mind different protozoa need different UV exposure to sterilize them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pennekampdream

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback. I’m sure I’m going to have many more questions in all kinds of subjects as I plan out my future 1st setup. Very helpful to have access to collective knowledge

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pennekampdream

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like using a dedicated pump for the UV.

This way you can run whatever flow you want through it, and still have the flow through the sump without having to upsize the return pump.
Where does the outflow from the UV end up?Directly into the tank?

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull and return water to the same section in the pump.....with water moving through the sump the chances of pulling the same water twice are next to nothing. No different that using an ATO and returning fresh water to the same section the water is pulled from.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pennekampdream

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull and return water to the same section in the pump.....with water moving through the sump the chances of pulling the same water twice are next to nothing. No different that using an ATO and returning fresh water to the same section the water is pulled from.
Okay. I guess it’s like on a river flowing down. If you take in water at the top and release it down stream it should not return to the intake.

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I guess it’s like on a river flowing down. If you take in water at the top and release it down stream it should not return to the intake.
Exactly....I think somebody actually did some type of test to prove this....BRS maybe? I could be imagining it though lol.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back