Help me welcome Maroun as our new POTM Contest Facilitator!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone!! I'm very excited to announce that @maroun.c will be taking over the R2R Photo Of The Month Contest! Maroun is an avid and experienced photographer and an excellent reefer as well. He has written multiple articles on the subject of reef photography in this forum (you can check out those articles HERE). He is passionate about both reef photography and has some excellent ideas for not only continuing the POTM contest but also on taking the contest to the next level. So I'm excited about where he will take this contest and am looking forward to you guys getting involved in the new and improved POTM. Join me in welcoming him to this new role.

#reefsquad #MODS #supportingmembers #everyone

(Psst...btw, he'll also be better about getting things posted on time than I have been...)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't know what to say, do I say welcome or congrats, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

I settled on Welcome to the POTM Contest Facilitator position.

Definitely a situation for "Welcome!"

If anyone needs to be congratulated, it's us for getting somebody of Maroun's caliber to take it on. :cool:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Congrats!
giphy (2).gif

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!! I'm very excited to announce that @maroun.c will be taking over the R2R Photo Of The Month Contest! Maroun is an avid and experienced photographer and an excellent reefer as well. He has written multiple articles on the subject of reef photography in this forum (you can check out those articles HERE). He is passionate about both reef photography and has some excellent ideas for not only continuing the POTM contest but also on taking the contest to the next level. So I'm excited about where he will take this contest and am looking forward to you guys getting involved in the new and improved POTM. Join me in welcoming him to this new role.

#reefsquad #MODS #supportingmembers #everyone

(Psst...btw, he'll also be better about getting things posted on time than I have been...)
Welcome aboard and looking forward to so fun things ahead

6F56A093-6417-4B19-8C75-E9FFC5EB7EB7.gif

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the warm welcome and a big thanks to @Daniel@R2R and @dbl for taking POTM to where it is now. We have a great contest on a monthly basis with a decent amount of submissions and where the quality of the pictures posted monthly make it challenging to pick a winning photo when voting.
Very little left to improve on the contest really but lets give it a go and see what we can do.

Those who know me know how passionate I am about photography and I would really love to have more focus on the photography aspect, be it technical where aquarium photography poses many challenges we don't see in typical photography aspects, as well as the artistic side to photography. I would very much like it if we can go back to focus on the basics, like use of optimal aperture, shutter speed, composition, to get quality pictures that catch the eye and tell a story. To me that is what a great picture is. POTM does have many of those already, so I would love to leverage on the quality of photos we get on a monthly basis to encourage others to become more passionate about photography and take their pics to the next level. fort his I would start with the following few changes to the POTM which I hope from all to help with, as well as to provide any suggestions or tips that you feel can add value.

- Adding a short description of parameters used for the shot. Realize many use mobile phones to take a quick snap but most of those offer a Pro mode, where you can see and control the parameters, which I highly encourage the use of as it provides much better pictures. Realize mobile phone cameras have come a long way and prvide amazing quality pictures and are much less of a hassle to get the pics shot, quick processed and uploaded yet cameras provide much better control and overal image quality. be it a phone, a DSLR or a mirrorless lets add as much info on the picture as we can which will help others with their next choice of gear to use or purchase.

-Post Processing , while many debate the use of PP, it goes hand in hand with good picture taking , is an art by itself and is highly encouraged in POTM to take your picture to the next level. PP can help get the picture closer to how the object looks in real life, or to totally change the object by adding effects if that is what you're in for. A few words about what you did in post processing and why you made the chages when going to special effects can help others who are not as good in PP or simply help others appreciate your modified picture more and accept the changes you made.

-Making POTM a learning experience and sharing knowledge about how we take pictures and what we aim for, I will be setting up a photo-critique thread monthly, where 5-10 pictures with the highest votes will be assessed and where we can discuss how the pictures were taken, what was good about them (both from a technique and an artistic side) and what could have been done differently or improved maybe. Constructive Criticism is the best way to learn and improve in any aspect of life and It would be great if all of you contribute to those threads heavily.

-Winner does get bragging rights :) as well as a nice prize from POTM sponsor AVAST marine and to add to that the winner will be asked to provide a topic for POTM which if not used recently will be the topic for POTM in following months.

Again thanks all for the nice welcome and support and for any suggestion you think will help improve POTM. looking forward for great POTM contests to come.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back