Help me with my Anthias

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to find one of my anthias not well at all. I saw one of my other anthias being a bully. Lucky I finally got him out of that tank and put him in a very small tank that I just had laying around the house. I will change the tank situation. My question is what can I do for him? I know I need to feed him well, but is there anything else I should give him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an anthias? Looks like a Neopomacentrus damselfish to me.

It has been seriously attacked by your other fish. Moving them apart is the first step. Lowering the specific gravity/salinity to 1.020 will help with it losing fluid through its damaged skin. However, it may be too seriously damaged to survive. If it makes it through the night, you will need to consider dosing it in a treatment tank with an antibiotic to prevent secondary infection.

Jay

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an anthias? Looks like a Neopomacentrus damselfish to me.

It has been seriously attacked by your other fish. Moving them apart is the first step. Lowering the specific gravity/salinity to 1.020 will help with it losing fluid through its damaged skin. However, it may be too seriously damaged to survive. If it makes it through the night, you will need to consider dosing it in a treatment tank with an antibiotic to prevent secondary infection.

Jay
Okay, hopefully he does make it through the night, so I can try to nurse him back to health. I will get antibiotics tomorrow. I was told he was a Pink Blue Anthias when I got him at my local fish store. Also I looked up that damselfish, it has the body type, but the color is off. My fish is blue in the front and pink in the back. What antibiotics would you recommend?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for Anthais to beat the crap out of one member.
When I added 4 to my 180g, 1, (all were female) beat the crap out of one.
Killed him.
Now I have three and the seem like a good group and no further issues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, hopefully he does make it through the night, so I can try to nurse him back to health. I will get antibiotics tomorrow. I was told he was a Pink Blue Anthias when I got him at my local fish store. Also I looked up that damselfish, it has the body type, but the color is off. My fish is blue in the front and pink in the back. What antibiotics would you recommend?
It is a Smith's damselfish, also called a pink damsel. I was wrong, its Pomacentrus smithi, not Neopomacentrus. Does the other one have the same coloration? If so, that explains everything because although they live in groups in the ocean, in aquariums, two fish will fight each other. You might want to contact the store, because this fish is usually much less expensive than a anthias would be. I think these retail for around $15

If you can locate Maracyn 2, Neoplex or Kanaplex, those would work. Just avoid any of those "miracle tonics", you want a true antibiotic.

Good luck!

Jay

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Smith's damselfish, also called a pink damsel. I was wrong, its Pomacentrus smithi, not Neopomacentrus. Does the other one have the same coloration? If so, that explains everything because although they live in groups in the ocean, in aquariums, two fish will fight each other. You might want to contact the store, because this fish is usually much less expensive than a anthias would be. I think these retail for around $15

If you can locate Maracyn 2, Neoplex or Kanaplex, those would work. Just avoid any of those "miracle tonics", you want a true antibiotic.

Good luck!

Jay
He didn't make it through the night. But good to know, and the store had them for sale for 9.99 each. I got 4 of them. So now there are 3 in my tank.

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for Anthais to beat the crap out of one member.
When I added 4 to my 180g, 1, (all were female) beat the crap out of one.
Killed him.
Now I have three and the seem like a good group and no further issues.
I have 3 now, but I just found of that it's a damselfish. I'm new and I didn't question the fish store.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 now, but I just found of that it's a damselfish. I'm new and I didn't question the fish store.
Don't feel bad. I once had a fish store tell me an anthias was a "pink chromis". LOL I should have bought them before the owner corrected the new kid. LOL Maybe I should go back and try to convince them that a Gem Tang is just a really flat black polka dotted chromis?

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad. I once had a fish store tell me an anthias was a "pink chromis". LOL I should have bought them before the owner corrected the new kid. LOL Maybe I should go back and try to convince them that a Gem Tang is just a really flat black polka dotted chromis?
Yes then you can get a tang for way less!! :D

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, can see that video.
I thought you meant these
B0DB25BB-78D3-4DC6-8938-5E337D47F89F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it was sold as an anthias, you have money coming back to you. Store should have more than caught that !!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back