HELP. Midas blenny nipping helfrichi firefish in QT!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this was a possibility but was told it should be okay (I get there is always a chance). There are tons of places to hide but doesn't seem to matter.

They have only been in for 36 hrs, just saw this poor guy this morning. There were no issues the first day. I have an acclimation box to separate them, who should I put in it, the midas or the firefish?

I'm afraid the midas will kill it soon!
9af947d1eff0a0af60543292e133a48f.jpg
04a9239a9546591519d5b14ead187c00.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the midas in there if you can. It will give the helfrichi time to adjust to the tank environment as well as allowing it time to rest and recuperate.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the midas in there if you can. It will give the helfrichi time to adjust to the tank environment as well as allowing it time to rest and recuperate.
I will do my best but he's a slippery bugger. Thanks all. What should be the plan moving forward? It's a sweet brand new elite aquatics acclimation box that I use on my DT, so I really don't want it in the QT when I run copper (haven't started yet). Do you guys think this will be something that will diffuse after a little acclimation box action for a few days? I'd imagine the situation will improve in my 90g but if not at that point I'll just pull one, however I'm concerned about just getting them through QT right now.

Btw, the midas blenny has been hiding the whole time and the aggression only happens when I'm not there apparently. The midas is also very stressed showing the brown tiger pattern etc.

Neither of them have eaten yet, at least that I've seen.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation box can be exposed to medicine. It won't leach anything to the dt.

You could try it out for a few days and release the midas once the helfrichi is eating well.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation box can be exposed to medicine. It won't leach anything to the dt.

You could try it out for a few days and release the midas once the helfrichi is eating well.
Oh really? I thought once something was used with copper it shouldn't go in your display. Good to know!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thingds that are porous, such as live rock and sand will leach medicines out, but equipment is usually fine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be a problem. Just give it a quick rinse when taking out of qt and it will be fine. I use acclimation boxes across qt and dt and have an sps dominant system. If you are worries, you can always put a poly bio filter pad in your filter when ever you use the box in the dt, but you'll see that it doesn't leach.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be a problem. Just give it a quick rinse when taking out of qt and it will be fine. I use acclimation boxes across qt and dt and have an sps dominant system. If you are worries, you can always put a poly bio filter pad in your filter when ever you use the box in the dt, but you'll see that it doesn't leach.
Thanks

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in warm DI water a couple of times if you're worried about it. I've never heard of acrylic absorbing anything but better safe than sorry. I would definitely wash it off really well before putting it back in my display tank.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to catch the midas and put him in the acclimation box. Hopefully the helfrichi wasn't too stressed and heals up nicely. Those fin chunks will grow back right?

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK all, so I've had the fish for 12 days now, the midas has been in the acclimation box for 9 days. Both fish are eating great, BUT the helfrichi still does not come out from under the sponge filter in the corner of my tank (that I've seen, and I've snuck up on the tank before). I even have to squeeze the food out by it and it barely comes out more than an inch or two even then.

I can see that the fins are healing but not quite 100% yet. I feel bad leaving the blenny in acclimation box but until the helfrichi is out and about comfortably I don't think it's a good idea, especially because she is in what was the midas favorite spot lol. Even then I'm concerned it will just happen again anyway.

Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK all, so I've had the fish for 12 days now, the midas has been in the acclimation box for 9 days. Both fish are eating great, BUT the helfrichi still does not come out from under the sponge filter in the corner of my tank (that I've seen, and I've snuck up on the tank before). I even have to squeeze the food out by it and it barely comes out more than an inch or two even then.

I can see that the fins are healing but not quite 100% yet. I feel bad leaving the blenny in acclimation box but until the helfrichi is out and about comfortably I don't think it's a good idea, especially because she is in what was the midas favorite spot lol. Even then I'm concerned it will just happen again anyway.

Thoughts?
I would just continue your current course. The helfrichi will continue to be shy until it is around peaceful, outgoing fish that will act as dithers. For shy fish, no other fish around is a sign of a predator around.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just continue your current course. The helfrichi will continue to be shy until it is around peaceful, outgoing fish that will act as dithers. For shy fish, no other fish around is a sign of a predator around.
So are you saying I should keep the midas in the acclimation box the whole qt process or until the midas comes out more? It seems like your saying it likely won't come out more until it's in my DT with more peaceful fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave midas in the acclimation box. The helfrich definitely won't come out if it's being nipped.

Even when it is in the dt, it may not come out until there are outgoing, peaceful fish so it can feel secure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back