HELP! MIGHT NOT BE BAD BUT I NEED TO KNOW

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys! I have been really busy and I have forgotten to do a water change for the past 2 weeks. I had green hair algae (pic 1). I looked closer and now there is more stringy, stick like algae (pic 2). I LOOKED EVEN CLOSER AND THERE ARE LITTLE SHRIMP GOING AROUND ON IT (pic 3)
IS THIS BAD?!
8D9584C6-F76C-4B4B-A9F0-E3182CAB73C0.jpeg
874EACBA-87EE-42EE-84C7-DDF664DF9241.jpeg
EB221869-A006-4FF5-AC5B-B59EA785B5FF.jpeg

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an isopod, which is normal. I would just do your water change and pull that algae out. Algae likes nutrients like nitrates and phosphates. So try to get those under control and it should go away. There are other factors but try that for now.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine, tank is still new & just getting started, just like Ding2daDong said, just pull the algae out, while getting your tank up & running you'll see much more of these ugly stages, the "little shrimp" are fine, that means that the start up of your tank is going well, as your tank is able to sustain live.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your rocks, your tank is new. Just the ugly stage of a tank cycle. If you see more algae growing, you might consider some cuc. It will eventually go away with water changes and cleaning.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the new tank uglies!

What you are going through is totally normal, although I'd try to stay on top of the fine stick like algae. It may be bryopsis, and can be difficult to get rid of. The best option at this stage is to remove the rock, pluck as much as you can, then put several drops of hydrogen peroxide on the spot. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes and then return the rock to your tank, none the worse for the wear.

The "little shrimp" you see are probably Amphipods, not isopods, as others have suggested. Amphipods (and their cousins copepods are a very good part of your new system and will help to provide free live snacks to your fish.

HTH!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get back on schedule with my water changes. Scrub the rock clear of the hair algae and THEN siphon your water to remove as much as possible.

I wouldn't worry about it beyond that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back