Help mixing Tropic Marin All-For-Reef Powder

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense in my head lol just wanted to see if there was any verified data or official knowledge on this... crazy its not available. I just ran out of the 500ml liquid bottle and wanted to refill it (because why not?) I originally purchased for my 20g tank... dosing at 10ml daily I don't need to make 1L lol
There is some data in this tread

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is some data in this tread
Thank you. But after reading the whole thread there was zero information in it.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what my fluctuations of alk are, at least in my tank. I was more of wondering the recipe for mixing the powder all for reef.
There is a tread for that in R2R. I personally couldn’t be bothered as my usage is low yet. The powder version last me 6-9 months and is cheap and cheerful

@phokusonmi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing up the All-For-Reef powder into a solution. The directions say add 160g to 1L of water. However I know sometimes things can be translated poorly into English. With other products like Triton you would actually mix the powder into 750ml of water to start and then after displacement top it up until you hit the 1L mark.

I'm hoping @Lou Ekus is lurking and can clarify for me?
That's wrong. It says to add 160g to 900ml of water to make 1L of solution.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup it looks like they saw this post and updated their instructions to be more clear. ;)

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry this took me so long to respond. I only saw the post right now.

@nim6us you are right on in your assumption. When mixing the AFR Powder, you want to mix 160g (I think that is 6 level scoops) into RO/DI water to result in a full 1000 ml solution. We recommend starting with about 900 ml of RO/DI water (it makes it easier to dissolve the powder) and then add as much is needed. It is almost always about an additional 50 ml that is needed. That means that you can also start with 950 ml of RO/DI water, if you would like, and you will almost always end up right on the full 1000 ml solution.

It is also true, however as @Randy Holmes-Farley said, that it doesn't make very much difference. As you can see it is only a matter of about 50 ml one way or the other. This makes very little difference in the concentration of the final solution. That would be true even if you started with the full 1000 ml of RO/DI water, you would only end up with about 1050 ml of final solution.

But for us OCD types, the 900 ml and topping off after dissolving is the best way to go and bee 100% accurate. :)

It was this I read before lol

notclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's total volume is 139 G and is SPS dominated. Now I am dosing all-for-reef about 170ml per day. Based on the instructions I should not dose more than 25ml per 26G, i.e. should not exceed 134 ml per day.

Any suggestion to solve this?

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's total volume is 139 G and is SPS dominated. Now I am dosing all-for-reef about 170ml per day. Based on the instructions I should not dose more than 25ml per 26G, i.e. should not exceed 134 ml per day.

I know many people exceed the recommended max dose with no problem. But if you are worried about it, then just add another supplementation method on top of it.

notclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would start to dose a bit of kalkwasser. By doing this the only downside is I will need to test and add magnesium manually from time to time.

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

look at supplementing with TM carbo calcium to lower your AFR dose

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add to this thread to try to help and increase information about the AFR Powder. If you are having trouble getting the powder to dissolve, then please check your quantities of powder and water. I know that sounds "basic", but we have not seen any difficulty in getting the powder to dissolve fully in the ratio given for mixing.

Also, the resulting AFR liquid is not the same "blue" tint as the regular AFR liquid. You will notice that the DIY recipe, the regular AFR Liquid and the AFR liquid result of the AFR powder mixing, are all a little different in color. This does NOT indicate any problem or inconsistency. In fact, all three are exactly the same in the functional components.

I hope this is helpful and answers a few questions.
I apologize but I just recently purchased two AFR liquid bottles and both have the yellow tint, unlike my previous bottles with blue tint. I raised my doubt here and was told by Mr.Hanns one of the developers of AFR the opposite of what you are saying regarding the color. I don't think that we as consumers should be responsible for such inconsistencies.
To me it wasn't limited to just colors. parameters between switching bottles drastically change within a short period of time.
link to my thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellow-all-for-reef….895136/
thank you in advance.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize but I just recently purchased two AFR liquid bottles and both have the yellow tint, unlike my previous bottles with blue tint. I raised my doubt here and was told by Mr.Hanns one of the developers of AFR the opposite of what you are saying regarding the color. I don't think that we as consumers should be responsible for such inconsistencies.
To me it wasn't limited to just colors. parameters between switching bottles drastically change within a short period of time.
link to my thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellow-all-for-reef….895136/
thank you in advance.
I understand what you are saying. That being said, we do not have control over that small color variance and it doesn't seem like a reason to pull the product from the marketplace, if everyone just understand that it is of no concern.

In relation to your parameters, there should be no difference in the parameter influence of the two differently colored bottle solutions. If you think there is an issue with the product you have or if you would like help identifying exactly what is going on with your parameters, please email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to go through the process with you to determine why you are seeing that change.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying. That being said, we do not have control over that small color variance and it doesn't seem like a reason to pull the product from the marketplace, if everyone just understand that it is of no concern.

In relation to your parameters, there should be no difference in the parameter influence of the two differently colored bottle solutions. If you think there is an issue with the product you have or if you would like help identifying exactly what is going on with your parameters, please email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to go through the process with you to determine why you are seeing that change.
will do, thank you for your reply.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably mistaken but I don’t think carbo calcium has any of the trace elements
That is correct. But if you want to use the Carbocalcium, and get trace element addition as well, you can add the Trace A and Trace K to the Carbocalcium solution and get them when you add the Carbocalcium. Then, the only difference between that resulting solution and All-For-Reef is the magnesium in the All-For-Reef.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%

Back