Help! My coral beauty angel has a white spot that just appeared on it and I need help finding out what it is

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my coral beauty angel, he was just fine until today when this spot appeared on him, he’s acting fine other than swimming around more if the tank than normal but he’s eating and everything just fine but I want to find out if this is ich or something I need to fix. Thanks to everyone that reads this.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
A picture under white light will help

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
A picture under white light will help
77C9879D-79D1-4C4D-9BDC-D63404932CA2.jpeg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you might have some kind of bacteria or fungus. How long have you had the coral beauty? It seems to have necrosis along its dorsal fin and head. What are your water parameters?

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you might have some kind of bacteria or fungus. How long have you had the coral beauty? It seems to have necrosis along its dorsal fin and head. What are your water parameters?
I’ve had him for a little over a year, when I first got him he disappeared so we thought he died because I’ve got damsels, I’ve since gotten rid of 3 of them but left one because he doesn’t hurt anyone but it turned out the coral beauty somehow got into my filer for a few months and his fins and head turned out like that after I found him, his fins have since improved, I’ve since moved him into a different tank with more peaceful fish and he’s been there for about 9 months. The water ph is at 8.3 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm. I’ve also put half a dose of copper power in the tank in case it’s a parasite or ich, I will put the other half dose in tomorrow, I do not have a med tank so I put it in the main tank with one damsel, a clownfish, the coral beauty, clown goby and an emerald crab, the water temp is also 78 Fahrenheit

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him for a little over a year, when I first got him he disappeared so we thought he died because I’ve got damsels, I’ve since gotten rid of 3 of them but left one because he doesn’t hurt anyone but it turned out the coral beauty somehow got into my filer for a few months and his fins and head turned out like that after I found him, his fins have since improved, I’ve since moved him into a different tank with more peaceful fish and he’s been there for about 9 months. The water ph is at 8.3 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm. I’ve also put half a dose of copper power in the tank in case it’s a parasite or ich, I will put the other half dose in tomorrow, I do not have a med tank so I put it in the main tank with one damsel, a clownfish, the coral beauty, clown goby and an emerald crab, the water temp is also 78 Fahrenheit
Just FYI, you should remove the emerald crab. Copper is extremely toxic to invertebrates. He will almost certainly die.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread should be moved to the fish disease/illness forum so you can get treatment advice for this pretty guy.

Personally, I’d treat it for bacteria/fungus first and stop the copper treatment.
That white spot isn’t ich, most likely it’s lympho (which will go away with less stress and improved diet).

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread should be moved to the fish disease/illness forum so you can get treatment advice for this pretty guy.

Personally, I’d treat it for bacteria/fungus first and stop the copper treatment.
That white spot isn’t ich, most likely it’s lympho (which will go away with less stress and improved diet).
Ok, thanks, I’ll try treating with pimafix and melafix

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a bit too large to be ich, and would lean towards fungus/bacteria. Keep an eye on it, and keep us posted! :)
As of this morning he isn’t scratching anymore and the spot is almost gone which is great, I’m going to keep the copper in the tank until it’s completely gone in case that’s what caused it to go away but I’ve also been told that it was just an infection and would go away on it’s own which is probably the case but either way it’s great!
EFF6EB39-8844-4013-B69F-86574C124BA5.jpeg

That’s him this morning, the spot is almost gone, if you look for it you can see it but that’s way better than I thought it would be today

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back