Help! My Cynarina is growing dark flesh. Is it necrotic? What should I do?

Fazzimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell, my cynarina is growing some sort of dark flesh, see the photo. I know my nitrates and phosphates are a little low for LPS but I've been struggling to keep them up, I think I need more fish (I only have 2 in my 32.5 gallon). I dose NeoPhos and NeoNitro, but apparently I need to dose more aggressively.

I've had this coral since November of last year and it has been thriving so far until now. The dark tissue on the photo sprung up a couple weeks ago and has been getting bigger over time. Please note that the 1st photo was taken shortly after lights on so it hadn't fully extended. The second photo I just took, about 2 to 3 hours after lights on.

My parameters are:
Specific Gravity = 1.025
NO3 = 1.5ppm
PO3 = 0.02ppm
Alk = 7 dKH
Ca = 410 ppm
Mg = 1400 ppm

I've also been struggling to get my Alk up to the ~9 dKH that I want it to be. I'm going to set up my doser finally so that should be better after some experimentation.

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cynarina1.jpg Cynarina2.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back