HELP! My puffer is not doing well (ich, velvet or something melds)

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another thread going that I also posted to but wanted to start this new thread to get more eyes on it. Original thread showed pics of my puffer with white spots all over and everyone though it was ich and I was treating in DT with kick-ich for 2 weeks. We were out of town for the holiday and didn’t have time to get the QT tank set up before we left.. So we continued to treat With the Kick ich and did a freshwater dip before we left. He started to not eat as much as he normally did. I’m attaching more photos taken today. Do you think this is still ich? Still treat with copper power (I did get that and the Hanna copper monitor)? Will it be safe for my sixline wrasse, maroon clownfish, sailfin and coral beauty angelfish?
In the pictures my puffer looks pale, seems to be breathing a little more rapid, not very active besides when he has moments of racing around the tank and swimming in the power head current, his fins are fanned out much and now it looks like the mucous layer or something is peeling off of him. All the other fish still seem fine but I know I will have to treat them all. (First 3 pics are from the original thread)l for comparison)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

9E0CCFBE-9635-4BAF-80CB-31A0351CE792.jpeg E5D2E4D4-9B2C-46D8-875B-849FF7F3D4E9.jpeg 698841CA-0C6D-46BA-8076-5289B4DBD81E.jpeg 29C13094-0386-41B8-B478-6CDB72DAAD07.jpeg 28D7A0B7-B100-43FE-B5A1-4A0724B2AB4A.jpeg 9A2E4F1D-1967-49B0-B000-D2B98BA763BB.jpeg 749F0ED3-757C-4882-9CEA-4FC5A62CA8EA.jpeg 1430F419-A7B8-4BE9-8233-71F5F9B25AC6.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I replied to the other thread, I recognize the shipwreck.

Kick Ich rarely works for people.

What I see here is long term marine ich with secondary bacterial infection. The fin damage showing in the last picture is pretty severe. You may not be able to save this fish. Are you seeing NO spots on any other fish?

Jay

OP
OP
H

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I replied to the other thread, I recognize the shipwreck.

Kick Ich rarely works for people.

What I see here is long term marine ich with secondary bacterial infection. The fin damage showing in the last picture is pretty severe. You may not be able to save this fish. Are you seeing NO spots on any other fish?

Jay
Yes you did reply! Thank you and no I am not seeing anything on my other fish. I am going to go get the QT tank and set that up. I did get the copper power as suggested already. What size tank do you think I need for 6 fish and what will I need for the bacterial infection? Poor buddy!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you did reply! Thank you and no I am not seeing anything on my other fish. I am going to go get the QT tank and set that up. I did get the copper power as suggested already. What size tank do you think I need for 6 fish and what will I need for the bacterial infection? Poor buddy!!!

I can't say what size tank you would need - depends on the sizes of the fish and how established the biofilter is. I see a couple on monos in one picture, but not a lot of invertebrates. It might be easier just to move the invertebrate out and treat your main display with hyposalinity.

For the secondary infection, you should choose a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic - Neoplex is a good choice.

Jay

OP
OP
H

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say what size tank you would need - depends on the sizes of the fish and how established the biofilter is. I see a couple on monos in one picture, but not a lot of invertebrates. It might be easier just to move the invertebrate out and treat your main display with hyposalinity.

For the secondary infection, you should choose a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic - Neoplex is a good choice.

Jay
I have an entire rock of mushroom corals and 1 acan. For invertebrates I have about 5 crabs and 3 large snails. Won’t the treatment kill my coral?

what kind of setup would the invertebrates need?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have an entire rock of mushroom corals and 1 acan. For invertebrates I have about 5 crabs and 3 large snails. Won’t the treatment kill my coral?

what kind of setup would the invertebrates need?
You want to leave inverts, etc in the display tank and set up a seperate quarantine tank
6 fish- minimum 29 g, or 40 breeder
For display tank, leave this fishless (Fallow) for 45-60 days to allow any cysts to go through their life cycle and die off due to no host

OP
OP
H

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Do you know of the dosing recommendations for Neoplex by chance?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of the dosing recommendations for Neoplex by chance?
Dosing in Water
Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen™. Use 1 measure (included) per every 8 L (2 US gallons). Repeat this dose every 7 days to a maximum of 3 weeks. This will treat external bacterial infections.

Jay

OP
OP
H

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing in Water
Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen™. Use 1 measure (included) per every 8 L (2 US gallons). Repeat this dose every 7 days to a maximum of 3 weeks. This will treat external bacterial infections.

Jay
I’m getting my QT set up and ready to dose with copper power to ramp it up but I’m wondering how to jump start the media in my filter to help them. I have a fluval fx4 filter in my DT so can I take the white filter pads from that canister and put it in my QT canister filter to help speed it along? How long do I need to wait to put the fish in the QT tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my QT set up and ready to dose with copper power to ramp it up but I’m wondering how to jump start the media in my filter to help them. I have a fluval fx4 filter in my DT so can I take the white filter pads from that canister and put it in my QT canister filter to help speed it along? How long do I need to wait to put the fish in the QT tank?
At this point, you need to get the biofilter started immediately. Taking biomedia from an established tank like you described is best (as long as it has been in the tank long enough to grow bacteria) If not, you'll have to rely on "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's or Fritzyme.

Jay

OP
OP
H

Herefishyfishfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, you need to get the biofilter started immediately. Taking biomedia from an established tank like you described is best (as long as it has been in the tank long enough to grow bacteria) If not, you'll have to rely on "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's or Fritzyme.

Jay
Ok I can do that right away. Do I put the fish in the tank right away then and start dosing the copper power immediately? Sorry for all the questions! I just want to give them all the best chance. I’m planning on dosing a little on the lower side for copper power like 2.0ppm gradually over 7 days. Does that seem ok for the puffer and wrasse or should I do 1.75ppm (I know they are both sensitive to copper).

Back