Help,my wife is complaining about the noise from my overflow

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is complaining about the noise my overflow makes anybody have any ideas how I can silence it.Its a coast to coast overflow and the noise comes from the water tumbling down before it flows to the sump
You can make it silent with the proper plumbing and gate valves, I have a reef synergy that is silent, has 3 drains, the main drain has a syphon and it carries the majority of the water the second drain is a backup and is tuned way down, the 3rd is just an open pipe that is the safety and should never carry water.

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha

6E9B5C8F-1E4B-43BC-ACF6-6F1436F4B0FC.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from raising the water level I might just stuff some filter foam blocks in there. More to clean but hey if it appeases she who must be obeyed lol
I actually traded in my wife for a girlfriend that actually likes my tank w/o reservation :cool:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I complain about my own overflow making noise (and I don't have a wife), the solution is to replace the overflow with a quieter one

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is complaining about the noise my overflow makes anybody have any ideas how I can silence it.Its a coast to coast overflow and the noise comes from the water tumbling down before it flows to the sump
Best way is to reduce the distance the water falls. How to do this depends on what type of plumbing you are using. If Bean Animal or Herbie, then you simply need to close down the valve on the full siphon line a bit until you get the desired degree of quiet.

JasonC80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely put a stand pipe in the overflow drain to raise the water level in the overflow, that will reduce some water noise.

There are durso designs for single pipe overflow that put an elbow on top to set level, and a drill hole in top to tune the airflow. Proper airflow = minimum water noise inside the pipe and hitting the sump.

I assume the overflow has a cover, try a heavy one to suppress noise if you dont already have.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if your LFS will do a trade . You may be able to get some new frags for the wife.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise that durso standpipe, buy her some flowers, put the moves on and give her a good somethin somethin (if ya know what I mean). Mine dont complain about a dang thing after that hahaha. Then ya keep the girl and keep the fish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back