HELP, My Wyoming Whites Pair, FREAKING ME OUT, I'm Going Crazy . . .

Designer Clowns Will NOT Host, Tried Everything. What would You Do?

• Trade Clowns for Hosting Dsigners

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell Fish, buy new Clowns, starting over

• Sell all Nems and enjoy Clowns

• Keep all and hope for the best

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, your best bet is to pair them up with a type of anemone they'd be hosting in the wild. For ocellaris, that's a Magnifica or Gigantea. Even then, it's never an absolute given, especially since they're captive bred. It should help your chances though. Some folks have had luck with getting them to host other types of anemones, but it's really hit or miss. Good luck!

I'm just making a friendly correction here, there actually is pretty much a sure thing when you give a natural host match anemone, I see this all the time, clowns refused BTA's for months, then given a mag or gig and they dive straight in, and this goes for both wild caught or captive bred, that matters not.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just making a friendly correction here, there actually is pretty much a sure thing when you give a natural host match anemone, I see this all the time, clowns refused BTA's for months, then given a mag or gig and they dive straight in, and this goes for both wild caught or captive bred, that matters not.

You're right, it is very very close to a given. I've seen a handful of examples over the years of a clown refusing a natural pairing, but that's definitely far and few in between. I had a clown opt for a Frogspawn over a natural pairing once myself, but that's definitely the rare exception.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, it is very very close to a given. I've seen a handful of examples over the years of a clown refusing a natural pairing, but that's definitely far and few in between. I had a clown opt for a Frogspawn over a natural pairing once myself, but that's definitely the rare exception.

Most anything I say is generally speaking on the most common outcome, but of course there can be oddities or things we don't see or recognize.

Mainly the thing I'm trying to point out is captive bred behavior, and people often blame that, not realizing the instinct for a host is still very much there, and in fact their instinct is still so strong they are looking for the host that would be natural to them in the wild, even though they have probably/most likely never even seen that natural host before.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually anemones host clown not the other way around.. I’m sure if you give them time.. they will catch on.. good luck

Jason Schwend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the same clowns and well they are CLOWNS! They like to look at the nems and duncans but not one of them are hosted. Every once in a while ill catch a glimps of my female brushing up against the duncan, but no luck. My buddy has same clowns (not paired tho) and its always in the duncans hanging out. I wish mine would take to the duncans also.

OP
OP
reeftigergal

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank Each and Everyone of you for all your advice, comments and ideas.
I put a saddleback in the tank as a personal trainer and grew some patience as well myself.
Now the female Wyoming white is hosting during the day with the saddleback and sleeping up top in the corner by the circulator while the saddleback sleeps in the lg green nem and the male white sleeps in the back top by the overflow and spies on the add coupe during the day.
I'm wondering if the wyoming white female is two timing and will eventually spawn with both of the saddleback. There are 4 more nems in the tank to host but they do not host them.
The saddleback did host the 2 rose BTAs and the Rainbow BTA before all this happened.
Now I'm just watching and wondering how it will all play out,
The Lawnmower blenny, who used to chase te clowns away from the nem he hosted now does not go around any of them anymore.
I welcome more advice and ideas with open arms.

Back