HELP!!! NEED ADVISE!!

schmoore89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started a QT. I am not having luck with getting my new arrivals to eat. I feel so bad for the little fishys. Please help ASAP.

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish? What foods have you tried? Any medications in the water?

Frozen mysis shrimp are something that most fish can't resist. If they are herbivores (tangs, Angels, etc.) then try a small piece of nori. Be careful with nori though because it can foul the water quickly if not cleaned out after the fish are done eating it. I have had luck with Hikari marine pellet foods personally.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Welcome to R2R. Let's get a backstory. What kind of fish? How many? How long have you had them? How old is the QT? What are you feeding currently? Give an overview of your fish and what their little world is like basically. Details on their condition and everything else i mentioned will always help us help you. :)

Garlic is usually good at tempting picky eaters. Also, live foods.

OP
OP
schmoore89

schmoore89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I first started my tank and didn't think much of it. Waited for the tank to cycle with live rock. Once done decided to put a couple of fish in my DT. BOOM. ICH!! I am a new reefer and was pretty upset seeing my fish with ich and eventually watching them die.

While I was having to flush my fish I decided then and there it's probably best I do a QT. In the QT I have lost two damsels and now have a black Saddleback clown. Damsels at the first day then stopped. They ended up dying. Thought to myself maybe just some bad luck. Wife saw this Saddleback and had to have it. You know the rest.

I have tried flake food and frozen mysis and the clown wouldn't eat the mysis and has nearly ate the flake. I do have cupermine in the QT.

OP
OP
schmoore89

schmoore89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no fish in my DT now. Trying to starve the ICH out. QT is fairly new. Pulled cycled water from my DT to the QT. Placed filter media in the HOBF to help with bacteria. Clown is in good condition. I try feeding him a few small meals a day.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper can make some fish lose their appetite. I like to make sure they are eating before ramping up the copper, but as it's too late in this case for that, you could try live foods. Black worms, brine shrimp. Frozen foods such as LRS reef or fish frenzy. Using garlic will help entice a feeding response as well.
Were the damsels displaying any symptoms before dieing? Spots or flashing ect?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well try the garlic or live foods... or heck both at the same time. lol Keep us posted.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have cupermine in the QT.

Do you test the copper level? If it is too high, the fish may not eat due to appetite suppression (a known side effect of copper.) You have to use either a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to measure Cupramine. It's very difficult to read low range ionic copper using the API copper test kit.

OP
OP
schmoore89

schmoore89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that I have read about testing for the ammonia and nitrite is that the copper with not make the tests accurate. I do have a ammonia badge hanging in the tank and it's in the safe zone.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change. Also, did you slowly raise the copper levels? If you didn't, I would do a 75% water change anyway. and take the next 3-5 days to slowly bring the copper levels up, so the fish get used to it.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, when setting up a QT, I wouldn't pull water out of the DT. Start fresh with some new salt water and then use something like Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria to help cycle the QT quickly.

Also, the bad thing about taking water from you DT is that whatever was present in the water of the DT, could also present itself in the QT.

Be careful not to overfeed the fish in the QT. Usually, the QT is fairly small in comparison to the DT and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels can rise quickly. You really shouldn't have to feed the clownfish more than once a day

Have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the QT. I one time have the nitrite levels spike on me suddenly in my QT and that's probably what caused me to lose a flame angel that was in there when it happened.

I use this with some garlic mixed in and usually within less than 24 hours the fish in the QT are eating.
http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/spirulina-brine-shrimp/

Also, what are the levels of the copper that you have in the water of the QT?

Allen

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back