Help needed for filtration for pico or small nano (<8g)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Due to space restrictions I have pretty much settled on my first reef tank as being a pico or small nano. Most likely less than 8g but I might be able to do a 10g. There will be no extra water volume like from a sump, etc. There will only be the DT with manual water changes.

So... I'm stuck on how to do filtration on these small spaces. On the larger tanks I see folks have their filtration/pumps and then extra power heads to ensure water is moved around the tank for proper flow but I'm not sure if this extra flow is needed for the smaller tanks.

My question is for the vase style and the regular rectangular type tanks so....

Vase style:
- I really like the look of these and I have the perfect spot for one but I'm at a total loss as to how a filter/pump is hooked up to one of these because they are round. I have looked at a couple build threads but the pictures I saw didn't show the filters (although it's possible I didn't scroll far enough). Does someone have a build thread link that describes the equipment used as well as placement or can someone describe to me how to do this? Also.... I'm assuming because these are so small that extra flow from power heads is not needed?

Standard rectangular tanks:
- Obviously because of the shape adding a filter is much easier but I'm at a bit of a loss as to whether an internal filter or HOB would be best. Obviously a HOB means more space is available in the tank for corals so I'm leaning toward a HOB if I go the route of a regular tank. Having said that the internal pumps not only act as filters but almost like power heads by directing the flow across the tank unlike HOBs that only direct the water down in one location which could cause dead spots.
- Given a nano is considered 5g - 30g (approx) at what point do you need power heads for extra movement/flow? Is it generally found that 10g and above would most like need flow or maybe 8g and above? I have an 8g freshwater and when I look at the length of it at about 18" I think it would need power heads to avoid dead spots if I were to do a similar size for a reef but maybe not especially if an internal filter is used.

Coral types:
- My last question is... What are the best beginner corals for these small environments where space is restricted and flow might be slightly compromised? I think I read acans in one thread.

More questions might come to mind depending on replies.

Thanks in advance!

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard rectangular tank with internal filter --> optimized space and already have power to move water.

Don't put any fish, maybe two or three thor shrimps and a snail.

Coral : some ricordea/yuma, a few LPS are Ok.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon Fluval Evo-ish (Spec V) build I'm working on now.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard rectangular tank with internal filter --> optimized space and already have power to move water.

Don't put any fish, maybe two or three thor shrimps and a snail.

Coral : some ricordea/yuma, a few LPS are Ok.
Thanks for this! I wasn't thinking any fish for the size I'm looking at. Maybe if I do a 10g.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a plug and play nano. For instance the Fluval evo series, innovative Marine 8 gal, JBJ 8 gal, etc.
Thanks. Yes I have been thinking of these. Out of curiosity has anyone costed these out to see if they are cheaper, cost the same or are more expensive than setting up a regular tank which means buying all the equipment and lights. I think all (or most) of the AIOs come with everything so I was wondering if you pay a premium for the ease of these. They are very nice looking setups!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon Fluval Evo-ish (Spec V) build I'm working on now.

Very nice and thanks for this!! Is that really a 5g? Wow. What type of power head is that? Also.... In looking at the pics did you DIY a filtration chamber on the side or did it come with that (or maybe it's not for filtration). I will read the thread in detail.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and thanks for this!! Is that really a 5g? Wow. What type of power head is that? Also.... In looking at the pics did you DIY a filtration chamber on the side or did it come with that (or maybe it's not for filtration). I will read the thread in detail.

Powerhead is a Hygger Pump. Pretty decent so far and super low profile. Way smaller than the Hydor Nano with wider flow and way more program ability. I also trialed Jebao s smallest propeller pump and liked it quite a bit but it's just slightly larger than the Hygger.

The chamber in the back is part of the stock Fluval Spec and Evo lines.

It's 100% worth it going with a prebuilt all in one tank at such a small size. Once you get over 40 gallons of have really really progressed in DIY skills and patience it can be worth building from the ground up so to speak.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evo user here. Light is not fantastic but easily supports soft/lps. Highly suggest an AIO.
I don't use additional powerheads but upgraded the pump to an MJ1200. Stock lighting is working for me. Firefish, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, sexy shrimp, and watchmen goby in my tank. Its a fantastic buy for an AIO.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some fish are fine in tanks under 10 gallons. If it's around 8 gallons, two very small gobies, or one small and fairly inactive fish, will be just fine. Firefish are a good candidate because they tend to hover, and then there's a whole list of tiny gobies that don't need much space either. Yasha haze gobies will also work in 8-10 gallons just fine. For 5 gallons, a single very small goby like a trimma goby will work. An antenna goby (smallest readily available shrimpgoby) and its partner pistol shrimp would be another option. Clown gobies are cute, and are non-goby-like enough that they're compatible with a shrimpgoby, if you have a tank on the larger end of that scale. The key is to just pick very small fish that don't move around much, like the smaller gobies, and a couple of blennies.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evo user here. Light is not fantastic but easily supports soft/lps. Highly suggest an AIO.
I don't use additional powerheads but upgraded the pump to an MJ1200. Stock lighting is working for me. Firefish, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, sexy shrimp, and watchmen goby in my tank. Its a fantastic buy for an AIO.

You've got to be running the Evo 13.5 tho right?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead is a Hygger Pump. Pretty decent so far and super low profile. Way smaller than the Hydor Nano with wider flow and way more program ability. I also trialed Jebao s smallest propeller pump and liked it quite a bit but it's just slightly larger than the Hygger.

The chamber in the back is part of the stock Fluval Spec and Evo lines.

It's 100% worth it going with a prebuilt all in one tank at such a small size. Once you get over 40 gallons of have really really progressed in DIY skills and patience it can be worth building from the ground up so to speak.
Thanks for this additional info!! It's good to get first hand experiences with equipment and setups.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! It's looking more like I'll be doing an AIO based on the replies here. Obviously the setup makes it so much easier!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are fine in tanks under 10 gallons. If it's around 8 gallons, two very small gobies, or one small and fairly inactive fish, will be just fine. Firefish are a good candidate because they tend to hover, and then there's a whole list of tiny gobies that don't need much space either. Yasha haze gobies will also work in 8-10 gallons just fine. For 5 gallons, a single very small goby like a trimma goby will work. An antenna goby (smallest readily available shrimpgoby) and its partner pistol shrimp would be another option. Clown gobies are cute, and are non-goby-like enough that they're compatible with a shrimpgoby, if you have a tank on the larger end of that scale. The key is to just pick very small fish that don't move around much, like the smaller gobies, and a couple of blennies.
Awesome! Thank you so much for this great list of fish. Personally I love, love, love gobies (and fish like them) so I'm glad to see so many on the list for smaller tanks even if it's just one goby and a shrimpy friend!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're great, aren't they? You'll see some people saying that no fish work in a pico tank, and I agree that most fish aren't suited, but perching gobies can work really well. I have a trimma goby in my 5gal, and he's pretty much always in about a 6" cubed area of the tank. They just aren't active enough to need much space, so if you're on top of parameters, they can work out fine.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're great, aren't they? You'll see some people saying that no fish work in a pico tank, and I agree that most fish aren't suited, but perching gobies can work really well. I have a trimma goby in my 5gal, and he's pretty much always in about a 6" cubed area of the tank. They just aren't active enough to need much space, so if you're on top of parameters, they can work out fine.
I literally have goby fever!!!!!! If I could keep every goby on the planet I would. Haha And if every water system on the planet (fresh, brackish and marine) only had gobies I'd be a happy person. Well that and seahorses and octopi. LOL

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO is a great way to go, had a Biocube as my first tank and currently in the coral stocking stage (does it ever end?) a nuvo 20.

Another option I've done in the past was a 7.5 gallon mr. aqua tank, XP Aqua FLexi Surface Skimmer, kessil A150w (now A160w), small heater with temp controller, and autoaqua ato. Was a fun little invert and coral only tank before I shut it down to move. Was going to add a Goby/Pistol pair at somepoint.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO is a great way to go, had a Biocube as my first tank and currently in the coral stocking stage (does it ever end?) a nuvo 20.

Another option I've done in the past was a 7.5 gallon mr. aqua tank, XP Aqua FLexi Surface Skimmer, kessil A150w (now A160w), small heater with temp controller, and autoaqua ato. Was a fun little invert and coral only tank before I shut it down to move. Was going to add a Goby/Pistol pair at somepoint.
Excellent! Thank you for this. I was originally going to do a piece by piece setup but being my first tank I was getting lost trying to figure out the equipment I needed. Your list has cleared this up for me in one shot and now I can do a solid comparison with the AIOs.

And to answer your question... "no" it never ends. Haha. I had a fw tank as a kid that didn't end well (my fault for not understanding cycling and maintaining) and my fish paid the price. I swore I would never do another tank (never say never). Fast forward a couple decades and what do I do? I start another fw tank. Now that has turned into three and now I'm doing a reef. Haha.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back