Help needed.

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my emporer angel was swimming around bright and beautiful. This morning I woke too see him looking like this(picture below) then checked the peramiters of the tank and he had passed. Have had him for close too 3 months.

Other fish in the tank are phantom clown(2) and firefish(1)

Nitrite,nitrate,ammonia lvl 0. Salinity 1.026. Ph 7.9-8.1 average floating. I also noticed a few bubbles/foaming on surface.

7AB07340-45BB-4C0C-994E-8F0AD94816F1.jpeg

2BA67CBC-2AF6-4340-A9D1-C519E28F066C.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! Are the other fish showing any symptoms? #reefsquad
If it took her that fast it could be velvet, and if that's the case you want to get the remaining fish in qt and start treating asap.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks and sounds like velvet, you’ll want to treat every fish in the tank in copper for 30 days if so.

Any of the other Fish showing any of the below symptoms?

Swimming in to powerheads, hiding from light, hiding more, flashing, scratching, breathing quickly, or having any other spots or dusting?

When large angels lose color that severely it’s often velvet damaging the gills

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear what @4FordFamily stated, you want to do this copper treatment in a separate hospital tank, NOT IN YOUR DT.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! Are the other fish showing any symptoms? #reefsquad
If it took her that fast it could be velvet, and if that's the case you want to get the remaining fish in qt and start treating asap.

All other fish look amazing no signs of anything. Corals look healthy too. Clownfish swimming like normal and firefish well he comes out of his coral home for around 5hrs a day.

Ldballoon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a fish disease. What have you added recently? Did the tank environment changed drastically by accident? Temp swing?

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new that was "wet" (fish, corals, etc.) added into the tank in the last 30 days or so?
Added two torch corals a month ago. Did a 2 hr climate change with revive dip. Firefish roughly 2weeks ago

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two torch corals a month ago. Did a 2 hr climate change with revive dip. Firefish roughly 2weeks ago
Sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish. Coral dips unfortunately do not kill encysts of ich or velvet. Were the Firefish quarantined? If not, those are two possible introductions of velvet into your tank.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish. Coral dips unfortunately do not kill encysts of ich or velvet. Were the Firefish quarantined? If not, those are two possible introductions of velvet into your tank.[/

What can I do too cure velvet.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i have read up on ich/marine velvet. It is forsure marine velvet. It will kill off my fish population. It has already just showed symptoms on my clownfish. My corals and inverts/snails are safe. I am going to upgrade my tank at this time too a 180 gallon with 50gallon sump. I am also going too let the tank sit for 3 month 75gallons till it kills all marine velvet and make this tank into my quarantine tank. Remove sand and rock (start with fresh rock/sand.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No rock or sand in a hospital tank. Put large plumbing pieces in the tank for the fish to hide.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a question too ask. The one saltwater store where i got my angel fish and clownfish from where in tanks that had no sand/rocks just bare tanks with piping in it. They let the fish quarantine there for a month or so before selling them. I think my mistake was going to a different store where the fish(firefish),corals(torch) where in a habitat with rock/sand and corals creating a must need quarantine that never ran threw my mind. Rookie mistake (big money loss on my part/something i won't f-up again that is forsure).

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a question too ask. The one saltwater store where i got my angel fish and clownfish from where in tanks that had no sand/rocks just bare tanks with piping in it. They let the fish quarantine there for a month or so before selling them. I think my mistake was going to a different store where the fish(firefish),corals(torch) where in a habitat with rock/sand and corals creating a must need quarantine that never ran threw my mind. Rookie mistake (big money loss on my part/something i won't f-up again that is forsure).
It’s unlikely the first store is performing a true QT. More likely they are holding fish in low level copper to observe. This can suspend any present disease until fish removed from store tanks. This does not guarantee you will get a disease free fish. The 2nd store in likely no more dangerous with fish in a more reef-like environment.

There are multiple philosophy’s on the proactive use of copper/cp on new fish. I would suggest searching the Disease forum for additional information & pinned stickies. I would also suggest a minimum of QT for a 30 day observation. I personally have chosen Copper after two separate post 30day observations let disease into my DT. There are no guarantees.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back