OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome. So technically this is Day 1 of treatment since I’m at 2ppm already. I’ll keep an eye on them and do WC as needed.

Thanks for all your help. I really couldn’t have done this without your help and knowledge of the situation! I’ll keep you updated on this thread as the days go by.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome. So technically this is Day 1 of treatment since I’m at 2ppm already. I’ll keep an eye on them and do WC as needed.

Thanks for all your help. I really couldn’t have done this without your help and knowledge of the situation! I’ll keep you updated on this thread as the days go by.
Technically day one is when you passed 1.5ppm. You are very welcome. You have some very beautiful fish there. And you are asking all the right questions. You are doing great. Just keep in the back of your mind that all meds are a risk. And even under the best circumstances some fish may not make it due to so many possibilities: collection techniques, shipping, etc. that you can do everything right and still lose fish. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

~ Gary

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, but atleast now I know I’m doing everything I possibly can to save them. Let’s hope they pull through!

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well only about 5hrs into QT and my Kole tang is looking badddd... it’s fins are turning black and a lot of specks are back.. not sure if this is normal or not
6b389da9d4ef04e524c7ce19bb100140.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the specks are not the parasite, they are the mucus build up at the point where the parasite was attached. The copper doesn't kill the attached parasites. The fish has to weather those already attached. The copper only kills the parasite in the free swimming stage. What you want to watch for is are the numbers of spots peaked and declining.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the specks are not the parasite, they are the mucus build up at the point where the parasite was attached. The copper doesn't kill the attached parasites. The fish has to weather those already attached. The copper only kills the parasite in the free swimming stage. What you want to watch for is are the numbers of spots peaked and declining.

I keep forgetting that! I’ll keep an eye on him... any idea why his fins would turn black though?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just got in from work... the Kole tang didn’t make it [emoji20]

The remaining 4 fish look to be okay though so I guess there’s that.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp... add another to the list.. came home and the queen Anthia didn’t make it.... down to the square Anthia, clown and firefish

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it ☹️ Copper can be very harsh on anthias. With the infection you had no choice but to bring up the level fast. Under normal conditions for prophylactic treatment I’ve had good success going very slow taking 7-8 days with the daily dose split into AM, lunch, and PM doses.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another unfortunate update, the square Anthia died this morning.. not sure if I had anything to do with it but hear me out.

I work at a bar so I worked a crazy schedule this weekend to say the least.. yesterday I worked from 3pm-530am. I came home and the Anthia seemed very lethargic so I said to myself... no one seems to have any type of visible specks or anything so maybe my copper is a tad to high for the Anthia. So I did a 2.5g WC maybe(half a 5g bucket).

As soon as I did that, the Anthia started spazzing out and going to the surface to get air it seemed. He would literally jump out of the water, hit the lid and go back in. 2 mins later he was dead. Meanwhile my clown and firefish were completely fine and still are.

The salinity matched, and maybe the temp was off a little bit but I don’t think it was that much to cause issues.

Any ideas? Or was he on his way out already and I just agitated him too much?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses and Anthias are both known for being kinda fragile. And it's often reported of them being startled and ramming into the glass or even eggcrate lids and dying or injuring themselves so severely that their spines are broken.
Sorry for your loss. Sad.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses and Anthias are both known for being kinda fragile. And it's often reported of them being startled and ramming into the glass or even eggcrate lids and dying or injuring themselves so severely that their spines are broken.
Sorry for your loss. Sad.

Ugh I just can’t win it seems... either way he wasn’t looking great before that. He was kinda moving with the current and then swimming back to a normal position and then floating again.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much to update... both the firefish and Clownfish are looking good and both eating like pigs.. going on about 22 days in copper treatment. Almost done with Step 1

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have asked this before but I forget what the answer was... during a fallow period, it would be wise not to add any additional Corals right?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back