Help! New fish arrived at 1.026 salinity from Diver Den when last weeks' LiveAquaria were at 1.019

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now who do I adjust & which direction? Plan was to float new bags, match salinity & throw into QT, no drip acclimation.

QT has been running about a week - no meds yet as I wanted to start everyone at the same time once they were all eating well. Fish in there from LiveAquaria who showed up with 1.019 salinity. I raised it to 1.020 with the last water change, was going to increase slowly over the next few weeks to match display which is 1.024-1.025.

Now new fish from Divers Den arrived at 1.026 -- I stupidly thought they would be similar to LiveAquaria as it's all from the same site.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish a little. Some will transition that much with little problems. Shame on both of them. 1.022-1.024 is much better range.

They will adapt with lower much easier than to higher level. You should be fine. Dump some out of the bags and add some tank water.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish a little. Some will transition that much with little problems. Shame on both of them. 1.022-1.024 is much better range.

They will adapt with lower much easier than to higher level. You should be fine. Dump some out of the bags and add some tank water.
How would that be a better range? Nothing could be better than NSW at 1.026. ;)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish stresses because its tough to adapt to higher salinity.

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The original bunch from LA is a Tanaka's Wrasse, Gold Cap Basslet & Blue Gudgeon Dartfish. New ones are more Blue Gudgeon.

So taking the new guys (1.026) DOWN towards 1.020 is better than increasing the QT (1.020) upwards? Or meet at more like 1.022?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original bunch from LA is a Tanaka's Wrasse, Gold Cap Basslet & Blue Gudgeon Dartfish. New ones are more Blue Gudgeon.

So taking the new guys (1.026) DOWN towards 1.020 is better than increasing the QT (1.020) upwards? Or meet at more like 1.022?

Yes

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Fish can handle drops in salinity very well (why freshwater dips are useful) but have a hard time adjusting to going up in salinity.

For what it is worth, Live Aquaria's FAQs state that Divers Den is always at 1.025-1.026, and Live Aquaria is always at 1.019-1.020. They are different facilities completely, and even in different states.

edited - I tried to find the FAQ page I remembered, but could not find it. Divers Den is located in Rhinelander, WI. I believe regular Live Aquaria products come out of California, but cannot find that inforamtion at the time. I had emailed them before a big delivery asking that very SG question, which is when I was told the above information about the two levels.

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Fish can handle drops in salinity very well (why freshwater dips are useful) but have a hard time adjusting to going up in salinity.

For what it is worth, Live Aquaria's FAQs state that Divers Den is always at 1.025-1.026, and Live Aquaria is always at 1.019-1.020. They are different facilities completely, and even in different states.

edited - I tried to find the FAQ page I remembered, but could not find it. Divers Den is located in Rhinelander, WI. I believe regular Live Aquaria products come out of California, but cannot find that inforamtion at the time. I had emailed them before a big delivery asking that very SG question, which is when I was told the above information about the two levels.

trust me I'm feeling stupid enough already... just trying to figure out a solution to the problem now that it's happened.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trust me I'm feeling stupid enough already... just trying to figure out a solution to the problem now that it's happened.

Wasn't meant that way at all, sorry! If it can be screwed up, I've done it, trust me...

I was mainly seconding the recommendation to have your new fish go down in salinity, rather than have the existing go up. Going up in salinity is very hard on fish (I remember hearing you should never go up more than .01 SG in 24 hours) but going down is far less stressful.

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't meant that way at all, sorry! If it can be screwed up, I've done it, trust me...

I was mainly seconding the recommendation to have your new fish go down in salinity, rather than have the existing go up. Going up in salinity is very hard on fish (I remember hearing you should never go up more than .01 SG in 24 hours) but going down is far less stressful.

I shouldn't have snapped at you, you are only trying to help. I'm frustrated that I didn't see the problem coming & plan ahead better.

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bingo on FW dips. I personally always ask before shipment what the dealer is keeping them in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back