OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing from white to pink can be a symptom of bacterial infection. Best to treat with antibiotics. Kanaplex works well on treating external infections; metro works well on treating internal issues. For a wider coverage of bacterial treatments can add Kanaplex + Metro + Furan2 which we call the Trifecta.
Thanks Big G, I have metro and Kana coming tomorrow, just ordered furan 2, will be here Friday. Should I give the second round of Prazipro when due or hold off?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Big G, I have metro and Kana coming tomorrow, just ordered furan 2, will be here Friday. Should I give the second round of Prazipro when due or hold off?
As long as you have added more oxygen to the water column, it should be fine. A powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively rippling the water's surface provides excellent O2 exchange.

If you had all three ready to go this is what the dosing would look like for 10-14 days of recommended treatment. But I wouldn't wait for the Furan2; I'd start asap.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have added more oxygen to the water column, it should be fine. A powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively rippling the water's surface provides excellent O2 exchange.

If you had all three ready to go this is what the dosing would look like for 10-14 days of recommended treatment. But I wouldn't wait for the Furan2; I'd start asap.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange
Thank you so much! I will follow this. I have the fluval return aimed at the surface rippling the water as well as two airstones going 24/7. I will start as soon as I get the antibiotics tomorrow. You guys are awesome. Appreciate it

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great call on the furan-2. Gave metro and kana friday and didnt notice much difference on the wound. Gave furan-2 yesterday and the wound looks 10x better, almost flat again and barely any white flesh showing if any. Amazing overnight change. Again, cant thank you guys enough for the wealth of knowledge here! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the turnaround.

One thing you can do when you get a new fish and you see a white spec.
If its ICK or other parasite a 5 min freshwater dip will be very helpful.
Chances are it will pop and or fall off, if not then there's a chance its its something else.

Fairly quick and free.
I was wondering how the white dot is was?
Seemd the dot was forgotten over the other infection in this thread and not addressed.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the turnaround.

One thing you can do when you get a new fish and you see a white spec.
If its ICK or other parasite a 5 min freshwater dip will be very helpful.
Chances are it will pop and or fall off, if not then there's a chance its its something else.

Fairly quick and free.
I was wondering how the white dot is was?
Seemd the dot was forgotten over the other infection in this thread and not addressed.
There is still one white spot on him, near the wound. After the round of antibiotics is done I will treat him with coppersafe seeing as everything is already set up at this point. So far looking good. This little guy has one voracious appetite I tell you what. As soon as I come to the glass he swims right over to my face and stares me down!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good news.
If it is ICK though I would do a FW dip asap.
It will help slow them down anyway while you complete your current medication therapy, and get them on ICK meds.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated photos, there seem to be 2 white spots. Ive never done a fw dip before and feel horrible doing it, worried about added stress ontop of his healing infected wound. Seeing as there are only two visable dots, if they do not increase in number, (haven't so far in a week) would it be ok just to ride out the rest of antibiotics then do copersafe? You can see how much better the wound looks now.
20200711_183608.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look closely at the spots. Are they raised a bit and cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower like in texture? Very common for angels to get Lymphocystis when the immune system is struggling a bit.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look closely at the spots. Are they raised a bit and cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower like in texture? Very common for angels to get Lymphocystis when the immune system is struggling a bit.
Here is a better photo, looks like a solidly defined half circle white bump. One by the original scar, and the other where I first noticed when he arrived. Haven't seen any other spotting so far.
20200711_200015.jpg
20200711_200008.jpg

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wish me luck. About to do a freshwater dip Unfortunately ich has exploded on him in the last 24 hours. On fin tips, body face etc. I have the ro water aerating and temp acclimating for 30 minutes. Man im nervous.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wish me luck. About to do a freshwater dip Unfortunately ich has exploded on him in the last 24 hours. On fin tips, body face etc. I have the ro water aerating and temp acclimating for 30 minutes. Man im nervous.
That fast of spread sounds more like the description of velvet. The FW dip will remove a tremendous number of parasites buying you time.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fast of spread sounds more like the description of velvet. The FW dip will remove a tremendous number of parasites buying you time.
I had at least one more round of antibiotics tomorrow to give to at least meet the reccomened application from the manufacturer. Should I do that and then immediately begin coppersafe?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had at least one more round of antibiotics tomorrow to give to at least meet the reccomened application from the manufacturer. Should I do that and then immediately begin coppersafe?
If its velvet you may be in seious trouble.
Finish your inital treatment is my recomendation.
It is important to see each treatment through properly or you run the course of having to do it all over again.

When you dip your fish in the fresh water they will act like they are dying, may turn flat on there side and breath rapidly.
It freaks me out as well and panic may strike but dont fret.
Stay the full five minute course.
But it looks like I am late to respond and it may be over by now.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its velvet you may be in seious trouble.
Finish your inital treatment is my recomendation.
It is important to see each treatment through properly or you run the course of having to do it all over again.

When you dip your fish in the fresh water they will act like they are dying, may turn flat on there side and breath rapidly.
It freaks me out as well and panic may strike but dont fret.
Stay the full five minute course.
But it looks like I am late to respond and it may be over by now.
I went through with the dip for a full 5 minutes. He swam throughout the session and looked stressed when he was back in the QT tank. I thought I was going to have a panic attack! He seems ok now. Will continue with antibiotics, just debating heavily when to start the copper power and how quickly to ramp it up.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through with the dip for a full 5 minutes. He swam throughout the session and looked stressed when he was back in the QT tank. I thought I was going to have a panic attack! He seems ok now. Will continue with antibiotics, just debating heavily when to start the copper power and how quickly to ramp it up.
With velvet, you need to try to get to full therapeutic within 48 hours. Small regular doses spread out throughout the 48 hours are much easier on the fish than big doses.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok to continue with the ABX while dosing copper. Just use small doses of the copper spread out throughout the day.

Back