OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ionic copper like Cupramine & Brightwells can be a bit tougher on dwarf angels than "chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.
The trick to dosing with either but especially with Cupramine is to ignore the directions on the bottle. Dosing two big doses can be problematic for fish.
Better to do this:
1. Measure the actual water capacity of your tank. There are online tank calculators that can help, but it's better if you actually measure the tank's liquid capacity. This way you will know the actual water capacity of your tank. Most tanks are NOT the size they are labeled. Often under size which can be a problem.
2. Once you know the actual liquid capacity, calculate out the total number of "drops" of Cupramine to get to therapeutic. Then spread out the dosing to get to therapeutic over 5-7 days. Small doses in the AM, lunch, PM, allows you the luxury of watching for a copper sensitive fish before damage is done. Drops per gallon of tank water is approx. 4 drops. But test, test, test as you get close to the calculated amount needed for therapeutic level of 0.50 for saltwater tanks.
Best is to use a Hanna HL Copper Checker. Those color matching test kits are horrible for accuracy. Way too easy to under/over dose trying to match those colors.
Thank you so much for this info. I have never dosed before. I just flipped some orders around and picked up a hanna copper checker and a bottle of copper power. Will go that route instead and hang onto the cupramine.

Is the prazi pro relatively safe?

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is ok? I strapped on a nickle sized piece.
15938006373548006009153598634693.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this info. I have never dosed before. I just flipped some orders around and picked up a hanna copper checker and a bottle of copper power. Will go that route instead and hang onto the cupramine.

Is the prazi pro relatively safe?
Very popular product for treating flukes. Need to add O2 as Prazipro contains a chemical, Oxybispropanol, that absorbs/uses O2 to the point that some fish are effected. A powerhead aimed up at the surface so it is actively rippling the water's surface works very well.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BigG,

One question, should I remove these live rock fragments when I start dosing the copper and parasitic medication. Will they permanently absorb the chemicals or can they be rinsed and dried out for frag plugs later?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BigG,

One question, should I remove these live rock fragments when I start dosing the copper and parasitic medication. Will they permanently absorb the chemicals or can they be rinsed and dried out for frag plugs later?
I usually toss any absorbent materials like rock after treatment in copper. It's very difficult to remove copper from rock.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, dosed first round of prazipro today. I think he has scale damage. I ordered metroplex and kanaplex I was thinking of doing before copper. Not sure. At least he is eating now. Gobbles down nori every day and is now readily eating mysis and flake. Seems very curious and friendly.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G The angel is doing fantastic as far as quarantine goes. One heck of a healthy appetite now. Ive done one round prazi, do you recomend two? Never noticed anything coming out of him after the initial treatment. The gashes on him do seem to be more consistent with an abrasion injury. I have metroplex and kanaplex coming in Thursday just to keep on hand, should I treat with those together and then follow with coppersafe?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
following ,cool good to hear!! :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G The angel is doing fantastic as far as quarantine goes. One heck of a healthy appetite now. Ive done one round prazi, do you recomend two? Never noticed anything coming out of him after the initial treatment. The gashes on him do seem to be more consistent with an abrasion injury. I have metroplex and kanaplex coming in Thursday just to keep on hand, should I treat with those together and then follow with coppersafe?
A 25% water change and second dose 5-7 days after the first dose covers any eggs the worms may have laid.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He guys, the gash on his side seems to be changing, almost swelling out or getting bigger. Its definitely protruding a bit. Should I start the metroplex and kanaplex as soon as it comes tomorrow and wait on a second round of prazipro? Not sure what to do here

20200708_180406.jpg
20200708_180345.jpg
20200708_180317.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hang tight wait for the doctors ,they will come

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing from white to pink can be a symptom of bacterial infection. Best to treat with antibiotics. Kanaplex works well on treating external infections; metro works well on treating internal issues. For a wider coverage of bacterial treatments can add Kanaplex + Metro + Furan2 which we call the Trifecta.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%

Back