OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok to continue with the ABX while dosing copper. Just use small doses of the copper spread out throughout the day.
Ok, will do, will begin first dose tonight. Based on the calculator here, figuring 4.75 gallons water volume, I will need to dose 4.88ml to get to 1.75ppm with coper power, or do you think I need to go higher?

I just dosed the first .5ml now, will re dose another .73ml tomorrow morning, afternoon, evening and then repeat which should bring me to 1.75 by 48 hrs. I will begin checking tomorrow with a hannah checked

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, will do, will begin first dose tonight. Based on the calculator here, figuring 4.75 gallons water volume, I will need to dose 4.88ml to get to 1.75ppm with coper power, or do you think I need to go higher?

I just dosed the first .5ml now, will re dose another .73ml tomorrow morning, afternoon, evening and then repeat which should bring me to 1.75 by 48 hrs. I will begin checking tomorrow with a hannah checked
1.75 ppm has been a very effective sweet spot for my fish. Of course your mileage could vary.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are threads posted here in R2R on the proper levels of copper.
It seems that some of the newer strains are copper resistant and require a level of 2.0ml. I would check out the information.

Did you notice any reduction of spots after the FW bath?
Or did you see any parasites in the bottom of the container?

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are threads posted here in R2R on the proper levels of copper.
It seems that some of the newer strains are copper resistant and require a level of 2.0ml. I would check out the information.

Did you notice any reduction of spots after the FW bath?
Or did you see any parasites in the bottom of the container?
I did notice a reduction of spots, but it was hard to tell because his slime coat was slightly affected but it did seem to reduce numbers. I was not able to tell in the water easily. Was sort of in panic mode, not expecting to have to do the dip.

Will read up more, I have dosed twice now and will hit it again and check concentration this afternoon and ramp up if nessesary. Was thinking of adding copper his dedicated water change salt bucket to keep levels steady during water changes.

Side question, I bought the TLF expensive *** magnetic algea clamp which is very nice but have I contaminated it now, (being plastic) with copper or will it be safe to use after a vinegar bath?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice a reduction of spots, but it was hard to tell because his slime coat was slightly affected but it did seem to reduce numbers. I was not able to tell in the water easily. Was sort of in panic mode, not expecting to have to do the dip.

Will read up more, I have dosed twice now and will hit it again and check concentration this afternoon and ramp up if nessesary. Was thinking of adding copper his dedicated water change salt bucket to keep levels steady during water changes.

Side question, I bought the TLF expensive *** magnetic algea clamp which is very nice but have I contaminated it now, (being plastic) with copper or will it be safe to use after a vinegar bath?

I would think the clamp being plastic and Non-porous would be fine once thoroughly cleaned.
The rock and substrate materials used in our tanks are Copper magnets so they cant be used in a DT again. At least that what I have come to understand.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the clamp being plastic and Non-porous would be fine once thoroughly cleaned.
The rock and substrate materials used in our tanks are Copper magnets so they cant be used in a DT again. At least that what I have come to understand.
Thanks, makes sense

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank to 1.82 ppm copper this am. Fish seems stable, swimming actively. Stopped eating nore but readily takes flake and mysis. Poop seemed stringy but green. Going to soak mysis in focus and metro to feed.

I think it is ich, not velvet. Spots seemed to have stabilized and are localized heavier in a few locations, fin tips mouth etc and a few have easily become grain size. The good news is it doesnt seem to be progressing. Hopefully the copper power will start to knock them out as they shed.

How do I know if the 1.82 ppm is sufficient and do not need to go to 2ppm? Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well small update. He is doing well, wound is healed up pretty well and Id say about 80% of the ich cleared up in the last 24 hours. Feeding medicated mysis and keeping copper at 1.9 ppm. Hopes are high.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G @TriggerFinger

Its moving day! Just wanted to say thank you to especially you guys and everyone else who helped along on this thread. Learned alot. Wounds are healed and ICH/velvet non existent for almost 3 weeks. Will post pics later this afternoon of him in his new home.
15973386823271843870761898390670.jpg

Back