Help New Tank Syndrom

Dr Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the reefing community and I have a problem with, I believe, new tank syndrome. My tank is 240gl and has some fish in it, the tank is about 1 month old. The water is so cloudy (green) that you can barely see the aquascape. Yesterday, I put in some carbon (in a mesh sock) as I was told that would help. Are my fish OK? How do I clean it up? I can't enjoy the fish this way.
I will be back online tomorrow morning to answer any questions

Thanks in advance for your help

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green? Sounds like that is an algae bloom to me. Don't know if carbon may fix that, I know it works for bacteria blooms (milky). You can also try running a uv sterilizer if you have one. Water changes to reduce available nutrients in the water. Reduce lighting.

Beyond that, I am not sure. Sorry.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a large water change. The larger the better to "shock" the phytoplankton. Also, if you don't have a protein skimmer, start protein skimming.

Your fish should be fine as long as there's sufficient air-water interchange. But the bloom does seem to indicate that something is off.

What are you water parameters like (nitrates and phosphates especially), and how heavy/what are you feeding? What fish are in the tank?

OP
OP
D

Dr Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a protein skimmer, but do not have a UV sterilizer. I have two reef wave 45's for air exchange. I am planning a water change tomorrow. My water parameters are as follows and last taken on 7-4.
Calcium is 511
Alkalinity DKH 7.6
Phosphate .22
Salt 35 PPT
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .01
Nitrate 5

Types of fish are as follows
2 Clown
1 Ruby head fairy
1 hippo tang
2 yellow tangs
1 blue dot puffer
1 Imperator Angel
2 six-line wrasse
I have no corals at this time.
I have been feeding a variety of foods like frozen Mysis shrimp, some blood worm, Nori seaweed, some pellets both carnivorous and herbivore. I do feed twice a day.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other filtration do you have (if any) besides the protein skimmer? When did the water first turn green? Has it been getting worse at all? If so, has it been getting greener slowly or did this all happen over just a couple days?

Since you don't have any corals in the tank what happens if you turn off the lights for a few days?

My first thought is that all your fish are producing waste and right now those nutrients are feeding the algae in your water column. You need to get things in balance so that there are fewer nutrients available for the microalgae you don't want. This can be done (slowly) by adding corals or macros and/or adding to your filtration and/or feeding less (if that's possible while still providing all your fish with the food they need. it might not be possible to feed less.)

Given your fish list I'm guessing you might not be putting corals in this tank. Do you have a refugium?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is the way to go. Cleared my tank in 48 hours.

OP
OP
D

Dr Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refugium with chaeto. The water started to turn green after about 3 weeks(one week ago). It took about 2 or 3 days to obscure vision, It does seem to be getting slightly worse. I have now turned the lights off and will keep it that way for a few days. Should I also turn off the refugium lights? I am now in the process of a 50% water change. I have also ordered a UV sterilizer.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t turn off the fuge lights, let the chaeto uptake the nutrients that the greenwater is absorbing. How heavy is the chaeto growth? Is it super dense? If so, you can harvest some and spread out the rest to maximize nutrient uptake

OP
OP
D

Dr Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll keep the fuge lights on. I was told and have set the fuge lights to be on 24 hours, Is this right?The chaeto is new, and about two handfuls, It is somewhat loose but tumbling.

Back