Help on aquatop eco 40 return pump

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey party people…. So I’m looking to upgrade my return pump on my aquatop eco 40 it comes with a 475gph pump but kinda feels like it’s not really the case. I wanted to know if anyone has a good return pump upgrade option for this tank maybe over 500gph ?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1.2 and then it shows up as 10 on the display. If I only have a small powerhead, I ran it at 1.3 and that shows 12.

Currently I am running the two 1060gph current usa eflux powerheads. They work in that tank perfectly.

I have a new MP40QD and also a Gyre 2k. Both of those were a bit much because you can't angle the Vortech.

OP
OP
Bravoman

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.2 and then it shows up as 10 on the display. If I only have a small powerhead, I ran it at 1.3 and that shows 12.

Currently I am running the two 1060gph current usa eflux powerheads. They work in that tank perfectly.

I have a new MP40QD and also a Gyre 2k. Both of those were a bit much because you can't angle the Vortech.
Thanks I was thinking of picking up a gyre 2k so you think it’s a bit much for the tank?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, it isn't actually. You just have to know how to set them. They are a pain to program. The reason I don't like it in the 40 Cube is any LPS like Hammers, Frogspawn and Torches take a thrashing. It's just a small tank for so much flow.

I've had them all and the best fir that tank are the current-usa eflux 1060 gph that you get on Amazon for $164.00. Cokes with two powerheads. If you get those let me know, there is a few things to do to them that will save you some headache.

The other best option is the Nero 3. You can also angle it like you can the Eflux pumps. I had one and had some issue out of it. I think it was just a bad unit.

If you had SPS and some Chalices, etc, then the gyre 2k would work.

I have a brand new (used 2 weeks) gyre and MP40QD I'm going to sell if you're interested.

If I can answer anything else let me know.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was thinking of picking up a gyre 2k so you think it’s a bit much for the tank?
Honestly, it can be a bit much unless you’re a SPS heavy system. I would go for one or two smaller powerheads. Make sure they’re mounted with magnets, not suction cups. The suction cups tend to harden and lose suction over time, continually falling off the glass and blowing everything around.

Personally, I use the jebao models on my cube style smaller tanks. I think it’s the equivalent of the SOW-4. The Current eflux pumps are also good in smaller tanks. Either way, I would recommend two smaller pumps, but you can always start with one and add-on later.

Edit: Nero 3 or 5 are also a good bet and easy to program. As stated above, a pair of the current eflux 1050 is probably what you’re looking for.

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it can be a bit much unless you’re a SPS heavy system. I would go for one or two smaller powerheads. Make sure they’re mounted with magnets, not suction cups. The suction cups tend to harden and lose suction over time, continually falling off the glass and blowing everything around.

Personally, I use the jebao models on my cube style smaller tanks. I think it’s the equivalent of the SOW-4. The Current eflux pumps are also good in smaller tanks. Either way, I would recommend two smaller pumps, but you can always start with one and add-on later.

Edit: Nero 3 or 5 are also a good bet and easy to program. As stated above, a pair of the current eflux 1050 is probably what you’re looking for.
I am having a difficult time getting the flow right. Does anyone have photos with power head placement.

I have areas of low flow and way too much flow.

Pumps are Jaebo SLW-10
Stock return pump seems very week

thanks

image.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can see my cube, I have mine on the back like yours, except each is pointed in the opposite direction.

The way you have those is probably the best. Return pumps in AIOs are notoriously weak. First thing I did was buy an Innovative Marine return.

20210921_185444.jpg

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see my cube, I have mine on the back like yours, except each is pointed in the opposite direction.

The way you have those is probably the best. Return pumps in AIOs are notoriously weak. First thing I did was buy an Innovative Marine return.

20210921_185444.jpg
I need to upgrade the return pump. I don’t feel their is enough flow thru the back sections.

I wish the lfs had of mentioned upgrading to a bulkhead. I wouldn’t mind increasing the return gph and splitting the flow so I could point one down towards the back of the rocks perhaps. I get cyano in the back corner on left side.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded mine to the innovative marine mightyjet. Dimensions worked out perfect and even on setting 1 or 2 it was enough for the tank. I agree that doing a bulkhead would have been ideal but that takes foresight haha

I think this pictures shows it best but I just used a piece of tubing to connect the aquatop tubing to the mightyjet.
20210608_170541.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I upgraded mine to the innovative marine mightyjet. Dimensions worked out perfect and even on setting 1 or 2 it was enough for the tank. I agree that doing a bulkhead would have been ideal but that takes foresight haha

I think this pictures shows it best but I just used a piece of tubing to connect the aquatop tubing to the mightyjet.
20210608_170541.jpg

That works!

I attached mine using a 3/4" hose and used the 3/4" fitting that came with the Mightyjet. I removed the rigid 1/2" tube that came with the Aquatop. I used the 90 degree union and attached the top part of the 3/4" hose. It is a rigid hose so it kept the fitting in place

I like your setup. I'll show mine as well.

Aweeks236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, looks like you are using a prime 16... what setting are you using?

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's enough light? I get mixed reviews some say it's not enough knight, others say it's fine.
I like it a lot. My tank is not mature enough to be putting high end expensive corals in yet. I have mostly SPS on my top rock, softies and LPS lower. For this size tank I think its perfect. I'm still not sure on my PAR readings, have not been able to borrow a PAR meter yet. But BRS has a youtube video on the light over a 50 gallon cube, so you can estimate PAR readings.

My SPS have grown 2x to 4x in size in the past 6 months.

I think most my SPS are "beginner" corals and easier to keep. Next year I'll start with some more expensive frags.

Tank was setup March 2021. My Duncan top center has gone from a tiny 1 head to 9 heads...its ticked off right now (as is my Frammer) as an emerald crab was perched on it ripping tears in it. He's been cast out to my quarantine tank.

Image.jpeg

Back