Help on Plumbing Parts List for Planet 36" Mega Matrix

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to finally graduate to a sump-based reef after many many years of AIOs. I've settled on the Planet Aquarium 90G Mega Matrix (36.5" x 24.5" x 25") but have no clue how to deal with the plumbing as it doesn't come with any. Can you fine folks help me figure what plumbing parts I'll need to put this tank together? I believe it comes with 2 x 1" drains and 1 x 3/4" return so the Herbie overflow method would be ideal.

I'm seeing the external overflow version of this tank packaged with the 20" Tideline sump so I'd assume that would work with the internal overflow as well. However this sump comes with three 1" drains. Do I just leave 1 of the drains open...?

I understand the general concepts of what parts exist (this link has been helpful https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/) but can't find concrete examples of exactly what I need.

I am pretty much clueless here. Is there a cookie cutter guide so I know which plumbing parts I need for this setup? Thanks!

TeamTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with the herbie method as I have not done that..but I do have the tidel sump. Yes, just leave one of the drains open. I put my plumbing in the first and last and left the middle open. Best of luck!

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to finally graduate to a sump-based reef after many many years of AIOs. I've settled on the Planet Aquarium 90G Mega Matrix (36.5" x 24.5" x 25") but have no clue how to deal with the plumbing as it doesn't come with any. Can you fine folks help me figure what plumbing parts I'll need to put this tank together? I believe it comes with 2 x 1" drains and 1 x 3/4" return so the Herbie overflow method would be ideal.

I'm seeing the external overflow version of this tank packaged with the 20" Tideline sump so I'd assume that would work with the internal overflow as well. However this sump comes with three 1" drains. Do I just leave 1 of the drains open...?

I understand the general concepts of what parts exist (this link has been helpful https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/) but can't find concrete examples of exactly what I need.

I am pretty much clueless here. Is there a cookie cutter guide so I know which plumbing parts I need for this setup? Thanks!
Definatly time to get out a paper and start drawing some stuff out if you havent already. Thats the best way I've learned to get a pretty solid idea of what parts you'll need. I highly recommend you watch some youtube videos closely on other peoples plumbing, will really help you learn the parts. Some basic tips I can say now is make sure you use plenty of unions, avoid turns wherever possible to optimize flow. This is especially important in your main overflow for herbie, the more straight the easier it will be. If you have any specific questions or want to share drawings/pictures please do!

OP
OP
jx.reef

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice guys! I gave it some more thought and ended up settling on the waterbox 100.3. The canopy for planet didn’t mix well with my plans for running xr30s (mainly heat)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back