Help- Palytoxin Poisoning. Just happened to me

Jasoncav123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one piece of live rock has these zoanthind corals polyps all over it. I was scrubbing this piece of algae off this morning and pulled a piece of the coral off and tried to separate it out of the tank. An hour later im eating pizza and it tastes sour. I thought the hot sauce I on it was bad and then my left eye starts to burn and has been fire red burning all day and watering.

Palytoxin exposure. Yes I'm dumb@$$ and lucky. My eyes are swollen now and a slight fever and everything tastes like sour metal but I'm okay. It's been 8 hours and I do feel better. Recommendations at this point? I think I may just take a plastic bag and reach in and pull the rock out and close the bag. Needless to say I'm now terrified to even touch the water
20220727_191729.jpg
20220727_191733.jpg

h20cyclone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only treat the symptoms of palytoxins. Give it time it should get better. If things do not improve you should seek out medical help. My dad had gotten palytoxin poisoning while fraging some zoas. Great care should be taken handling any coral honestly though. Invest in a good pair of rubber gloves.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what they are lol. I need em out of my life asap
Right, so first of all it’s important to know what’s in your tank and what you’re dealing with. This “don’t care” attitude is probably what landed you in this situation.

You have to take extreme precaution when removing them, full length gloves, goggles, potentially a respirator. Do not just throw them out, do not boil the rock. If you put them in your bin and forget about them, or leave them in the garden and forget about them you can guarantee you’ll be hit with it again.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so first of all it’s important to know what’s in your tank and what you’re dealing with. This “don’t care” attitude is probably what landed you in this situation.
OP is probably just scared. I don’t think this response was kind.

OP
OP
Jasoncav123

Jasoncav123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have to take extreme precaution when removing them, full length gloves, goggles, potentially a respirator. Do not just throw them out, do not boil the rock. If you put them in your bin and forget about them, or leave them in the garden and forget about them you can guarantee you’ll be hit with it again.
I obviously have no coral of any type in the rest of my tank. I never claimed to be a coral expert. Hence why I asked what to do with them. Atleast I was smart enough to figure out its one of the two Jesus christ it's not every day one gets poisoned from their saltwater tank

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is probably just scared. I don’t think this response was kind.
While I think your criticism is fair, I stand by my point.

As others have mentioned you may want to call poison control and quote palytoxin. Especially if symptoms worsen, I wouldn’t wait around though.

I’m sure there are some paly experts who can guide you through removing them safely

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously have no coral of any type in the rest of my tank. I never claimed to be a coral expert. Hence why I asked what to do with them. Atleast I was smart enough to figure out its one of the two Jesus christ it's not every day one gets poisoned from their saltwater tank
Well I apologise for my rashness, it’s just important to know basics of what’s going in the tank.

How are you feeling now? Any respiratory distress? That’s what we need to look out for

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure a lfs would gladly take them. May even come get them. As for your reaction, if in doubt...get checked out.

OP
OP
Jasoncav123

Jasoncav123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I apologise for my rashness, it’s just important to know basics of what’s going in the tank.

How are you feeling now? Any respiratory distress? That’s what we need to look out for
No im fine. Eyes burning with small discharge but not nearly as bad before.
Wildest thing I've ever had happen to me. Taste is still kind of weird and metalish like they say. I did call Poston control and they were puzzled as this doesn't happen in PA very much lol. They advise different it gets worse to come in or obviously any issues breathing call 911.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grabbing the rock with a (thick) plastic bag over your hand and putting it into the bag will work just fine. Then go wash your hands really well. Palytoxin's not THAT aggressive- you just weren't careful enough. I don't know of a more polite way to put "don't touch toxic corals and then your food and/or eyes".

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good overview of treatment.

Benadryl at the least, if symptoms worsen ER eval.

Any SOB wheezing or chest tightness GO TO THE ER.
Steroids likely help.
If you’re asthmatic use your B2 Inhaler, and consider an er trip for eval.

Attachments

• F20B03A5-D3F2-4CF1-851D-8DC8C4C094E2.png
    F20B03A5-D3F2-4CF1-851D-8DC8C4C094E2.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 48

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take the rock out and scrub it or scrub it inside the tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back