Help- Palytoxin Poisoning. Just happened to me

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my garden. Third tank they have migrated to over a 5 - 6 year period. I've plucked them out by pinching the stem between finger nails, pulling with forceps etc. Many at a time trying to get rid of them. How's the saying go? Ignorance is bliss, or God protects the stupid? Can't remember 20220727_215558.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reactions to specific toxins vary hugely between people. We see it with all sorts of venomous animals- some people get barely a bump from a scorpion sting, some people go to the hospital with the pain of it from the exact same species.

That said, you really should stop doing that. Don't tempt fate. Especially not now that you aren't ignorant, in case there's some mystical protection that just wore off.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frag polyps that are sort of growing off of the edge of the colony, and separate them from the colony under water. I attach them to the plugs right at the water surface, pointing the face of the polyp (which can squirt!) down into the water.
I’ve fragged the grandis by placing rubble rock on the main colony and then a few weeks later pulling the rubble rock off usually a few will have attach to the new rock

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what they are lol. I need em out of my life asap

it’s just important to know basics of what’s going in the tank.

Not only is it important to know what's in your tank, it's important to communicate clearly to other hobbyists. Because some less informed reefer is going to see the title of this thread and think "omg I can't ever have zoanthids because they can kill me," when that's not the case. The overwhelming majority of palytoxin poisoning cases are from palythoas.

I hope you're doing better, @Jasoncav123

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don’t put any of these corals in my tank and never will. Best of luck with your recovery. Make sure to take a pic of the coral and write everything down on paper, and give it to your wife or put it in your pocket for worse case scenario at the ER. That why they will know how to treat you.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a gun, and shoot the rock. Just kidding. I’d soak it in bleach.

Best thing to do is to get rid of that rock. It’s not worth it. Sanjay left a rock outside in the snow for the entire winter and a guy came and picked it up that spring and nuked his tank. The toxin stays active for a long time.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back