Help pick tank- 93(g) cube Red Sea Max E-170

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby after a very long break. I'm am deciding between 2 tanks A Marineland 93 cube tank w/sump and refugium and the Red Sea Max E-170 (45g). My previous tank was a DIY 50 gallon, and I remember I couldn't get tangs. While researching I read that cube tanks are not good for tangs. Is this true for tangs? If true are their any benefits of a 93 gallon over the Red Sea Max E-170 (45g) beside water volume?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is better in terms of water quality. Also tangs are active swimmers so long tanks are best, no cubes!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And hey, welcome to the club!
giphy.gif

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 93 ML cube and u can prob keep 1 or 2 small tangs in it not more. I have a Tomini in it going on 3 years, love this guy. Just note u should add the Tangs last and at the same time and then keep them well fed to help minimize aggression.

BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea max e-170 and the false back makes everything look really clean and I love it, but they’re not for everyone. I also wouldn’t put a tang in it unless it was a temporary tank for baby tangs since there is not really enough space, DT usable space is more like 30 gallons since the false back is included in the 45 Gal.
Some cons you should consider:
1. Plumbing is metric so it’s difficult to convert your sump to standard plumbing. I had to buy specialty plumbing online
2. Small cabinet so you’re limited to sump options if you want a refugium too. I have the crystal trigger systems 18 cube, which has a refugium and fits nicely
3. Small cabinet means you have to put tech gadgets outside of tank or limit the types of equipment you want.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! I looked at the ML93 but read a lot of reviews about the silicone quality and people coming home to busted seams. Might research it before jumping in. I was in love with the 93 until I started seeing the issues people were having with it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back