Help please! Afraid I have a new parasite that is going to nuke my tank

Reefnate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden I have an infestation of very small brown and black pests that are scraping my rocks clean of all coralline, and attacking my acropora . Rocks looks bleached with blue streaks underneath. I found some from on A new frag weeks ago as it suddenly hade four on it, eating the acro tissue. Dipped and that did nothing, so I scraped them off with metal nail. That’s what it took to remove them. Now sadly I have at least a hundred visible. Almost impossible to remove even scraping with a nail, and have idea idea how I can possibly take care of them. Thought they might be a subspecies of chitons, but having seen those, these are much smaller, much more aggressive and much harder to remove. Help please. Been in this hobby fifteen years and never seen these. You can see them on the base of a new frag coming overnight up the side of the plug presumably to destroy it.

15057FC5-5FD6-409A-8532-F1B3121D9D92.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your frustration.

Are you familiar with Black Bugs?
You describe the pest as similar to chiton, are you seeing something that looks like a mite or more like a snail?

I am sorry but the image provided does not show enough details to make out the pest.

Are they Limpets?

Back