Help please ATO reservoir slimy with 16 ppm TDS !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve read many posts relating to slime in ATO reservoirs but no definite answer. Some people experience it, others don’t.

My ATO has only been set up for 2-3 weeks and there is a nasty clear slime in it, mostly on the 2 cables. The pump itself didn’t feel too slimy when I cleaned it. But the cables were disgusting. Would it be what they’re made of that makes a difference ?

Also, the water in the reservoir has 15-16 ppm TDS. My RO/DI water has 0 TDS, I always make sure of it. Where is this coming from ?

The reservoir is inside the cabinet and there is a lid on it. The only holes are where the cables go in, on the side of the bucket, and they are just the right size, so very little air going inside the reservoir, if any.

So right now I’m turning 0 ppm TDS water into 16 ppm TDS and pouring it in my tank. And getting nasty slime as a bonus. What‘s the point of having an ATO if it’s going to downgrade the quality of my water ?

Can anyone help ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place a small pouch with carbon in the resevoir. I too had this and carbo alleviated it. As for TDS, check your Sediment filters.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a small pouch with carbon in the resevoir. I too had this and carbo alleviated it. As for TDS, check your Sediment filters.
Thanks for the tip. So no water agitation necessary, just carbon lying on the bottom ? How often do you change it ?

Sorry I’m new at this but do you mean the sediment filter on my RO/DI unit ? If so, I know it’s fine because I always get 0 TDS water.

I think I’ve found the problem about the TDS. After I wrote that thread I remembered I used my pure RO/DI container to make salt water. When I realized it I cleaned it but it’s possible one batch of that water got used in the ATO reservoir. I’ll make sure to clean the bucket next time it’s empty and retest it then.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, in case anyone has the same problem. I believe there were bacterias in the ATO system. It probably started with the hose and transferred everywhere. Something must have been in it when I opened the box and it grew bacteria when wet.

I’ve made a few changes, like rinsing the bucket used to fill the reservoir after using it for saltwater.

I’ve also stopped putting a towel on the lid of the ATO (even if it’s always closed, this could have sent dirt or bacterias into the rodi water).

But what fixed this problem is soaking the bucket, lid, pump and black hose in a solution of water and bleach. I soaked everything for 10-15 minutes in the bucket and used a seringe to fill the ATO black hose.

After 15 minutes, I ran the ATO with rodi water into a bucket for 5-6 minutes, to make sure there was no bleach left.

It’s been 8 days since this cleaning and no more smell at all. The bucket just smells like fresh water, as it should.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you use black plastic container with a good lid next time. Lighter color containers can let light in which will grow junk. Never had anything grow in mine.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you use black plastic container with a good lid next time. Lighter color containers can let light in which will grow junk. Never had anything grow in mine.
I’ll keep that in mind.

In this case though I believe the hose itself had bacteria, as it only took a few weeks for the slime and smell to appear.

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same problem with my Brute RODI storage can. I believe it's a bacteria film.
I've ordered a 9W submersible UV light that I will be keeping in the Brute with its lid on. This should kill any bacteria and inhibit any future growth.

Back