HELP PLEASE. Tube anemone is hurting

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him for about a month. Spot feeding reef roids and mysis 2-3 times a week. Seemed to be eating and happy. Came home today and he isn’t opening up. Looks rough. Chemistry pretty standard. Nitrates 10-20. I did just upgrade light to Kessil AP9X And added an additional powerhead, but he is in back on sandbed, low flow area, and light is in acclimating mode at only 10-20% intensity. Thoughts?

16B2F773-BE90-4CD8-9192-548E8744A85D.jpeg D8185ADE-612A-45C4-99EB-D68B45B7F337.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reef roids may be part of issue as in change of light. After acclimation mode they need low to moderate light. They do not need the care of regular anemones. They are carnivorous and require meaty foods such as mysis shrimp and even small plankton. Be sure to not feed them with larger pieces of food as this will damage their small delicate tentacles. They are nocturnal feeders, so you need to feed them nightly or when they emerge from their tube. If you have lots of amphipods, copepods and small prey in your tank, then feed them twice a week. They have special burrowing behavior and are also known to produce a lot of waste from excretions of tube slime.
Consistently high levels of water quality need to be maintained with a good level of oxygenation. They do not do well in turbulent water so provide moderate flow only.

• Lighting Needs: moderate
  • Temperature: 73-77 deg
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 – 1.025
  • Alkalinity Levels: 8 – 11 dKH
  • Calcium: 400 – 450 ppm
  • Magnesium Levels: 1250 – 1350
  • Strontium Levels: 5 – 15
  • Water Movement: Low to moderate

OP
OP
JuiceByCliff

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I I’m trying to be patient, ruling out one thing at a time to see what is bothering him. It wasn’t the light, as I turned it down to almost nothing. I turned down the flow and he seemed to be opening up again. I may need to move him, but he is already toward the back of the tank in the lowest flow possible. Next step is inside a cave? I am familiar with the “hacks” to move regular nems, but with the tubes are their feet more loosely attached?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, he looks fine to me. They do retract from time to time. Is there a possible fish bothering him?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, he looks fine to me. They do retract from time to time. Is there a possible fish bothering him?
Realistically if your lights are on and your tube is out, it's happy. They are primarily nocturnal feeders. My tubes come in and out all day.

Not opening for a long time, weak extension of the arms, flaccid mouth tentacles, loose mucas coat being the things to watch out for.

OP
OP
JuiceByCliff

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the second picture may be of what the anemone normally looks like?
Correct! First pic is the angry picture. It’s 100% the flow. I added an MP 10 to my red Sea reefer 250. When I add Reef energy or reef roids and cut the power heads, he comes out as big and happy as ever. Unfortunately he is in about the lowest flow area of the tank. He is also slowly but surely migrating a little bit toward an “eddy” behind the rock. Think a little more time and he will shape up. I catch small amphipods in my sump and feed them to him crushed. He is eating just fine!

OP
OP
JuiceByCliff

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused as to why you think it's hurting. Second pic it looks fully open and happy.

The only time I've had a tube bail out, it was under more lamp than it wanted. Bailed out of the tube and moved over 4 inches into the shade and set back up.
PXL_20210519_024410302.MP.jpg
BEAUTIFUL DUO!!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct! First pic is the angry picture. It’s 100% the flow. I added an MP 10 to my red Sea reefer 250. When I add Reef energy or reef roids and cut the power heads, he comes out as big and happy as ever. Unfortunately he is in about the lowest flow area of the tank. He is also slowly but surely migrating a little bit toward an “eddy” behind the rock. Think a little more time and he will shape up. I catch small amphipods in my sump and feed them to him crushed. He is eating just fine!
This is nothing to worry about imo. Normal tube behavior. There have been a few times mine didn't come out for a full day. Sometimes they're out an hour in an hour.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back