Help please! Upgraded tank that came with lights and schedule

JoJo saving chichis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would GREATLY APRECIATE some help here.

I upgraded tanks = SUPER excited & a bit STRESSED, LOL

OLD TANK for 10 years:

55 gal with soft corals, anomies, few hard corals, canister filter, protein skimmer and LED lights (EverGrow LCD model IT2080). Which I LOVE those lights!... programed for 6hrs a day "whites" fluctuated up to 15% and the "blues" fluctuated up to 60% and then down to off.

NEW ESTABLISHED Tank:

150gal with ALL KINDS of corals and fish. Sump. Lights: 2t5bulbs and 2 Kessil "blue tuna". The previous owner set up the lights for me and programed them. The Kessils are on ALL THE TIME & the T5s come on @ 2pm and off @ 8pm.

I thought lights don't need to be on 24hrs a day? I'm asking what should the lighting be and if I do reprogram the Kessil do I have to do it slowly so the fish and coral don't freak out? Loaded info but I figure the more you know the better. :) Thank you in advance

20201130_104430.jpg 20201130_104617.jpg 20201130_104629.jpg 20201130_104644.jpg 20201130_104719.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hrs? you are correct they shouldn't be on for 24hrs. Many reefers ramp them up and down at the beginning and end of the day. The fish seem to appreciate it. Are those the A360 wide? Wondering what kind of par you are getting. Seems like a tank that size should have a bit more than 2 T5 and 2 Kessil. Wonder if that's why he was running the kessils like that?

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree do what you did in the past and check out light settings under the search section of R2R you can just type in kessil and T-5 lighting and it will populate your search with more than enough info to research and get you started. Good luck

OP
OP
JoJo saving chichis

JoJo saving chichis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hrs? you are correct they shouldn't be on for 24hrs. Many reefers ramp them up and down at the beginning and end of the day. The fish seem to appreciate it. Are those the A360 wide? Wondering what kind of par you are getting. Seems like a tank that size should have a bit more than 2 T5 and 2 Kessil. Wonder if that's why he was running the kessils like that?
Great question, I have no idea unfortunately. What is A360 wide? The tank is 4ft x 3ft x 4ft.

OP
OP
JoJo saving chichis

JoJo saving chichis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree do what you did in the past and check out light settings under the search section of R2R you can just type in kessil and T-5 lighting and it will populate your search with more than enough info to research and get you started. Good luck
Thank you Buffalou! Great to know and will definitely search kessil and t-5 lighting! Figuring out this amazing site little by little! (With to bigger tank I'm sure I'll be on here way more!)

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, I have no idea unfortunately. What is A360 wide? The tank is 4ft x 3ft x 4ft.
I think there are 4? or so different versions of the kessil tuna blue. A360 comes in a wide lens and narrow lens version and the A160 with a wide lens, and the A360X which I think has a wide lens but more control.. BRS has them all and you can see from the photos. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-led-lighting/kessil-led.html

Kinda looks like yours is the A360W wide but hard to tell in your photo. The wide versions cover roughly a 2' x 2' square. So if you are using over a 3' x 4' tank that 3' dimension is lacking if the lights are centered and trying to cover 36".

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I were using the Kessil A360W I would go with two rows of 2 and maybe a 5th directly centered. Another option would maybe be a couple of the 48" reef brite light fixtures between the kessil and the T5 tubes.

But FIRST you really need to know what your par levels are and that would require a par meter. Equally important what are your goals for the tank. If it's primarily softies and maybe a few LPS up higher on the rocks and maybe a few SPS more centered under the Kessils, you could be totally fine with what you have.

So just some ideas..

OP
OP
JoJo saving chichis

JoJo saving chichis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I were using the Kessil A360W I would go with two rows of 2 and maybe a 5th directly centered. Another option would maybe be a couple of the 48" reef brite light fixtures between the kessil and the T5 tubes.

But FIRST you really need to know what your par levels are and that would require a par meter. Equally important what are your goals for the tank. If it's primarily softies and maybe a few LPS up higher on the rocks and maybe a few SPS more centered under the Kessils, you could be totally fine with what you have.

So just some ideas..
Thank you much! My goal of the tank is to have a mixed tank of corals. Not as much softies. The tank right now has SPS and LPS. You've given me a lot to think about for sure! Much appreciation :)

Back