Help! Plywood tank seams leaking!

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice needed I recently built this tank 90gallon plywood tank my seems appear to be leaking and capillary action is making it soak onto the wood

I've fibreglassed the seals and covered with pond paint, I've then used pond seal to try and stop the leak but this has failed

Please help I've had to put the fish in QT and corals in a box

20210310_232007.jpg 20210310_232004.jpg 20210310_232003.jpg 20210310_231953.jpg 20210310_231950.jpg

OP
OP
Valum

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to hear the ‘pros’… I moving soon and might consider upgrading from my 500g.
Pros
Cost effective (bigger you go)
Highly customisable (can design to fit walls)
Less prone to leaks (if built correctly)
They look amazing

Cons
Requires some level of carpentry skill
Time consuming (initial design/build time)

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the price of quality lumber I'm surprised this is still a thing.

I understand hobby, wood working, and pride but when discussing this large of an aquarium the risk isn't worth it. Especially when custom builders are affordable.

Edit: having said that:

1. Sorry to read about the leak
2. Have to appreciate the dedication and skill to attempt it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valum

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the price of quality lumber I'm surprised this is still a thing.

I understand hobby, wood working, and pride but when discussing this large of an aquarium the risk isn't worth it. Especially when custom builders are affordable.

Edit: having said that:

1. Sorry to read about the leak
2. Have to appreciate the dedication and skill to attempt it
It's fine I went off on my own rather than sticking to the tutorial I just posted, the tank has been rebuilt to the guide and I've had no issues over this 6 month period so not much of a loss

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine I went off on my own rather than sticking to the tutorial I just posted, the tank has been rebuilt to the guide and I've had no issues over this 6 month period so not much of a loss

Oh, sorry if it sounded like I came across judging. By no means my intent. Dedication, pride, and more all come into play when making your own tank. Using wood kicks it up a whole different level. So honestly hats off to you. And I am really glad you are having success after the rebuilt.

Upvote 0

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question… why ?
Like Valum said, cost and the ability to build the way you want it. My tank is around 700 gallon, no way could I have afforded a custom built glass tank. Now that it's all said and done, I wouldn't trade it out for a glass tank even if I could.

Unfortunately, lumber is not the only building material to go through the roof in price. I have an account with Alside and the increases they have been forced to impose are significant. Probably inline with lumber. Way more than 7.5%. It sucks....

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back