Help! Puffer has pink ball coming out of its butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a prolapsed anus.

Rectal Prolapse

Identified by a protruding anus, a rectal prolapse can be caused by constipation, straining or even unknown parasitic infection. These things will usually correct themselves and adding vitamins to the food and dosing kanaplex can help with keep it from getting infected while it’s out. Premium water quality should be a priority during and after this time as well. On larger fish who don’t appear to be getting better, it’s possible to correct the issue yourself and use a purse-string suture to keep the anus inside the body until it’s healed.”

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.199/

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rectal Prolapse

Identified by a protruding anus, a rectal prolapse can be caused by constipation, straining or even unknown parasitic infection. These things will usually correct themselves and adding vitamins to the food and dosing kanaplex can help with keep it from getting infected while it’s out. Premium water quality should be a priority during and after this time as well. On larger fish who don’t appear to be getting better, it’s possible to correct the issue yourself and use a purse-string suture to keep the anus inside the body until it’s healed.”

Going with fords advice

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rectal Prolapse

Thank you very much! My water quality is gold but how long does it last? And is it painful to them?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree as well^^^

What are your other parameters?
There are many other important factors other than salinity.

What are you feeding these fish?

Are you supplementing their diet with things like selcon, Zoecon, or Vita chem?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! My water quality is gold but how long does it last? And is it painful to them?
1) it depends on many factors a day or weeks but that would likely be fatal at that point
2) yes I imagine so

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree as well^^^

What are your other parameters?
There are many other important factors other than salinity.

What are you feeding these fish?

Are you supplementing their diet with things like selcon, Zoecon, or Vita chem?
Water quality:
pH: 8.3
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
I feed the puffers and other fish will peck at it, oysters from my dads oyster restaurant and the vitamin C brine shrimp

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he ate a little piece of the shell with the meat, that could cause blockage.
I always pull the meat off the oyster before feeding him. It’s just so weird that this happened. And can this be fatal to him or is there a great chance of him surviving? I don’t want to lose him.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always pull the meat off the oyster before feeding him. It’s just so weird that this happened. And can this be fatal to him or is there a great chance of him surviving? I don’t want to lose him.
Death from this isn’t uncommon. :/

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Death from this isn’t uncommon. :/
Noooo!!!!! And how long does the constipation last? I don’t mean the ball in its butt, I mean the whole it comes out every time he poops. I know it’s not parasites because I use RO water to fill the tank up. And the store I bought him from heavily medicates fish before I buy them.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: It went back in and I don’t see any swelling. He still seems happy and swims around like normal. Should I also not feed him for a day? But I can feed the other fish the brine shrimp because the puffer cannot fill up on those....
And since the puffer litterly eats the whole thing of oyster meat, is that why! Should I chop it up to make it better to digest it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality:
pH: 8.3
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
I feed the puffers and other fish will peck at it, oysters from my dads oyster restaurant and the vitamin C brine shrimp
Your parameters should be showing at least some nitrates.
Noooo!!!!! And how long does the constipation last? I don’t mean the ball in its butt, I mean the whole it comes out every time he poops. I know it’s not parasites because I use RO water to fill the tank up. And the store I bought him from heavily medicates fish before I buy them.
There are plenty of medication resistant parasites. While a protruded anus isn't a symptom of parasites, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of parasites existing in the tank, especially since you already lost a puffer to disease in that tank and didn't do a fallow period.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters should be showing at least some nitrates.

There are plenty of medication resistant parasites. While a protruded anus isn't a symptom of parasites, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of parasites existing in the tank, especially since you already lost a puffer to disease in that tank and didn't do a fallow period.
That is true. But my API test kit and LPS say my nitrates are at zero. Is it bad it they aren’t? And that it true. But I’m getting into coral keeping and I’m scared the medicine will destroy my corals!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have something wrong with that tank. Either something you’re not testing for or something you aren’t testing/doing incorrectly. Just looking at your tank it doesn’t look very live or very healthy. Your live rock and sand has no life or color. Looks to me like a tank that hasn’t had it’s chance to to a proper cycle even though you say your water is perfect, it’s not. I wouldn’t add another living thing to that tank until you can at least get some life growing and living on that rock; copepods, bristleworms, coralline, macroalgae, something before adding any other livestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back