HELP rapid fish disease ID not white spot but bigger white spots

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, fish are currently going down. Ive freshwtater dipped my fish but they have white spots but myxh larger. They have oval shapes in person and a flat. Help me id please!!!!!

20190521_012008.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s velvet, the spots you are seeing are typical discoloration at the insertion sites... not the parasites themselves. Secondary infection is very common.

Refer to emergency treatment protocol in post #2 here:
Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/&share_type=t

I would suggest using an antibiotic as well based on the photo. Furan-2 would be my first choice, and/or Kanaplex.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i forgot to mention in the baths i could see the white spots on the bottom of the bowl

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s velvet, the spots you are seeing are typical discoloration at the insertion sites... not the parasites themselves. Secondary infection is very common.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=217570&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/&share_type=t

I would suggest using an antibiotic as well based on the photo. Furan-2 would be my first choice, and/or Kanaplex.
Above

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=217570&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/&share_type=t

The spots that came off were identical to what was on the fish. And as you mentioned the spots being the left over insertions sites, these seemed off the body, like 3D is this still velvet?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I misunderstood, if there were white spots in the freshwater dip those would be flukes. So the spots in the photo... were they still on the fish after the dip or did most come off? That would be a rather severe flukes infestation if those are all flukes :/

Flukes – General Guidelines
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=224423&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Flukes-–-General-Guidelines.224423/&share_type=t
Lost the hawkfish last night....others are still kicking. I have a bird nose wrasse i lve had for five years a harlequin tusk, damsel, and clown.Im hoping some are white spot. Is it possible theybare just large white spot, or adults in the lifecycle? Thanks. Some do appear smaller however. Thankyou so much

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lost the hawkfish last night....others are still kicking. I have a bird nose wrasse i lve had for five years a harlequin tusk, damsel, and clown.Im hopi
ng some are white spot. Is it possible theybare just large white spot, or adults in the lifecycle? Thanks. Some do appear smaller however. Thankyou so much

To me this does not sound like flukes.... but..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely flukes and once in the gills, the fish will deteriorate

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely flukes and once in the gills, the fish will deteriorate
Ive google this, and the size of the fukes appear to large....the fish now appear to have more what seems as velvet.....thanks for the help though :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive google this, and the size of the fukes appear to large....the fish now appear to have more what seems as velvet.....thanks for the help though :)

With that many spots I would have been very surprised if it were only flukes. They could very well have both :(

The velvet is the more pressing issue, and the freshwater dip should buy you a little time with the flukes. I’d follow that treatment protocol I’d linked above.

Once they have been in copper for a week or so and the velvet is under control you can treat the flukes by dosing General Cure, two doses 5-7 apart.

I would use general cure vs. prazipro only because it is slightly less likely to cause a bacterial bloom...but if you already have prazi on hand that will work also. Make sure the QT is heavily aerated, powerhead aimed at the surface AND and an air-stone. If the water gets very cloudy, you can do a water change after 24-48 hours from dosing, just don’t forget to dose copper into the new water to match the QT.

I’d also still dose an antibiotic with the copper right away. All of the meds I’ve listed so far can be used together if necessary... just be SURE to have lots of oxygen exchange when doing so.

Good luck, I hope they pull through for you :(

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the hawkfish last night....others are still kicking. I have a bird nose wrasse i lve had for five years a harlequin tusk, damsel, and clown.Im hoping some are white spot. Is it possible theybare just large white spot, or adults in the lifecycle? Thanks. Some do appear smaller however. Thankyou so much
Sorry for your loss. Never easy, especially after that many years.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many spots I would have been very surprised if it were only flukes. They could very well have both :(

The velvet is the more pressing issue, and the freshwater dip should buy you a little time with the flukes. I’d follow that treatment protocol I’d linked above.

Once they have been in copper for a week or so and the velvet is under control you can treat the flukes by dosing General Cure, two doses 5-7 apart.

I would use general cure vs. prazipro only because it is slightly less likely to cause a bacterial bloom...but if you already have prazi on hand that will work also. Make sure the QT is heavily aerated, powerhead aimed at the surface AND and an air-stone. If the water gets very cloudy, you can do a water change after 24-48 hours from dosing, just don’t forget to dose copper into the new water to match the QT.

I’d also still dose an antibiotic with the copper right away. All of the meds I’ve listed so far can be used together if necessary... just be SURE to have lots of oxygen exchange when doing so.

Good luck, I hope they pull through for you :(

Sorry guys...lost the tuskfish and bird nose wrasse ive had for nearly 6 years last night....ive narrowed their deaths doen to a bacterial infection cause by the velevt..fin rot, cloudy eyes and a cloudy film/growth on their bodies helped me identify it. I still have a clown ive had for 7 years and a scopas tang ive had for 3...they are in the thick of an infection but a strong and arent weak yet but are refusing to eat....just started treatment tonight....p.s i still have a blue devil damselfish in the display...should i remove him?and treag him aswell? Thanks guys...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry guys...lost the tuskfish and bird nose wrasse ive had for nearly 6 years last night....ive narrowed their deaths doen to a bacterial infection cause by the velevt..fin rot, cloudy eyes and a cloudy film/growth on their bodies helped me identify it. I still have a clown ive had for 7 years and a scopas tang ive had for 3...they are in the thick of an infection but a strong and arent weak yet but are refusing to eat....just started treatment tonight....p.s i still have a blue devil damselfish in the display...should i remove him?and treag him aswell? Thanks guys...

Sorry about your fish would think the common wisdom would be to treat everything (ie put the damsel back in) and leave the tank fallow for 76 days. As to what to treat with - I'll leave that to others.... What are you using now?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, QT and treat any survivors... let the display sit for 76 days

I’m sorry for your losses, these things can come on so quickly :(

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish would think the common wisdom would be to treat everything (ie put the damsel back in) and leave the tank fallow for 76 days. As to what to treat with - I'll leave that to others.... What are you using now?
Yep, QT and treat any survivors... let the display sit for 76 days

I’m sorry for your losses, these things can come on so quickly :(

Lost the tang last night....only clown left. Damsel is clear so I'm not going to add him to the qt yet....there is definately somrthing fungal BUT i just did a freshwater bath on my last fish which was a small maroon clown and a bunch of these white 'balls' came off some on their own and some clumped in mucus...these were the same things that i found on my dead hawk...any ideas what they are???

Thanks again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lost the tang last night....only clown left. Damsel is clear so I'm not going to add him to the qt yet....there is definately somrthing fungal BUT i just did a freshwater bath on my last fish which was a small maroon clown and a bunch of these white 'balls' came off some on their own and some clumped in mucus...these were the same things that i found on my dead hawk...any ideas what they are???

Thanks again

Have you treated any of the fish with copper? Its been 7 days since your first post. Freshwater dips will not cure velvet or ich? The hard part about these threads is that treating these things is 'urgent' - and its really hard to tell from photographs whats 'really going on'. Its doubly hard to tell whats going on from 'a description'. As you can see you have 3 different opinions - velvet, flukes, both (or looking at the first photo again - I would say CI - but no one knows for sure). So the key thing is treat the fish right away (Again really sorry that you are going through this - and if you did treat them and I just missed it in your posts - I apologize).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you treated any of the fish with copper? Its been 7 days since your first post. Freshwater dips will not cure velvet or ich? The hard part about these threads is that treating these things is 'urgent' - and its really hard to tell from photographs whats 'really going on'. Its doubly hard to tell whats going on from 'a description'. As you can see you have 3 different opinions - velvet, flukes, both (or looking at the first photo again - I would say CI - but no one knows for sure). So the key thing is treat the fish right away (Again really sorry that you are going through this - and if you did treat them and I just missed it in your posts - I apologize).

Realize that the damsel is likely 'infected' with whatever it is - and may harbor it for some time - and when you add new fish - you may have problems again.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize that the damsel is likely 'infected' with whatever it is - and may harbor it for some time - and when you add new fish - you may have problems again.
I'm well aware of this and have dealt with letting the tank go fallow before. My last fish (maroon clown) in display passed today. Whatever disease or parasite it is, its managed to wipe all but one of my livestock within 72 hrs relatively. Im hoping i can find out what it is sooner rather than later....thanks :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm well aware of this and have dealt with letting the tank go fallow before. My last fish (maroon clown) in display passed today. Whatever disease or parasite it is, its managed to wipe all but one of my livestock within 72 hrs relatively. Im hoping i can find out what it is sooner rather than later....thanks :)
Youre welcome - you asked a question - said you weren't putting your damsel in QT 'yet'. I was just suggesting that you might want to do that.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back