Help removing out of control palys

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove these nuisance palys? I tried cutting them off and they always seem to regrow. Aiptasia X just irritated them. Kalk paste I thought worked but it just took them longer to return than anything else. It is a converted FW tank with rocky 3d background so removing the entire back ground is not an option plus some are on rocks. They came on a rock and being a noob at the time I thought they would be a nice addition since I had nothing else in the tank. Cleaner water has seemed to thin them a little but no where near eliminating them.

paly.jpg
i

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've got several pest palys in the middle of my zoa colonies. Nothing as bad as what you're deeling with. I can kind of keep them under control with Aptasia-X, but they always come back. I've considered getting F-Aptasia or injecting lemon juice. Hopefully you can find an answer that doesn't involve taking down the background.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some palys like this. I put them in the middle of my tank cause I thought they were pretty. They’ve grown WAY faster than my gsp or Xenia - like 5 times faster. I’m scared to do much to get rid of them because palytoxin.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix some kalk with RO water into a slurry. Turn off all flow for a little while. Use a syringe from a test kit, put a little on each paly. Not all at once, they will melt away. A little at a time. After 15-20 minutes, turn my return pump back on. Wait longer for powerheads. If any any gets on a coral that I don't want it, just wave my hand over the coral until it dissipates.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix some kalk with RO water into a slurry. Turn off all flow for a little while. Use a syringe from a test kit, put a little on each paly. Not all at once, they will melt away. A little at a time. After 15-20 minutes, turn my return pump back on. Wait longer for powerheads. If any any gets on a coral that I don't want it, just wave my hand over the coral until it dissipates.

So killing them is the best way to get rid of them? Makes me wonder why I had to pay for them to begin with.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you were cutting them away but be very careful. Agitating them like that will force them to protect themselves with their toxins. Some are stronger than others. But always good to be on the safe side. Wear gloves, dont touch your eyes or mouth, wasn your hands and run carbon in the system

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this for safety. Palytoxin. You can take the rock out and bring it to your LFS. And swap it out for a clean piece of live rock.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the part everyone is missing is that these palys are growing on a false rear rock wall that is attached to the tank. So there's no removing the rocks, fragging or base removal. Which definilty makes it harder.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky with the toxins. I didn't know about it before and I was pinching them off with my fingernails. Probably have a tolerance built up from exposure to all sorts of solvents and chemicals at work thru the years. Or just lucky. I have tried the kalk and while it did the most damage and they looked dead they ended up coming back after a couple of months. I have some syringes with needles. I wonder if there is something I can actually inject them with that won't harm the other livestock? @ bleigh I see them for sale around here sometimes.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just change your lights to 'El-ee-Deez'.....according to that one guy here you can't grow Zoanthids / Palys under 'El-ee-Deez' so that should kill them :) /sarcasm

The Palys here are green implosions, and yes, they can become a nuisance really fast. They don't sting or engage in biological warfare, but they smother other corals really fast. They are not a known paly toxin carrier. Their lighter green , semi translucent cousin often imported wild in reef stores is the dangerous one.

I nuke nuisance palys with an insulin syringe and vinegar injection just like I do aiptasia. Vinegar (acetic acid) has a far greater kill rate than Aiptasia-X (base) or kalk paste (base) in my experience.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the part everyone is missing is that these palys are growing on a false rear rock wall that is attached to the tank. So there's no removing the rocks, fragging or base removal. Which definilty makes it harder.

Even then, is killing them not the best option? I think they’re pretty, but the growth rate is insane. I’d never give them to someone else unless that was the only thing they wanted in their tank.

They’re almost like the blue, electric killer lights to a moth. So pretty, but not worth it.

1D3490B4-8630-47FA-A61C-DCC86BA0DD67.jpeg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know. I hate killing corals. Even GSP lol. I think I tear off about 2 inches a month and give them away. Wonder if there's a way to encompass them with frag discslet them grow into the disc then remove the disc and give them away, that'll keep what you have from expanding .... just a thought.

And it's funny I have bright green palys in my tank, a bunch of people want frags and they just wont grow beyond what I have. Lol you can see them in the back left of my pic.

20190822_103538.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had to remove large areas of button polyps exactly like those.
What I did was to mix up kalk paste ( using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime) and heat it in the microwave, so that it was hot. Doesn't take long 15-20 seconds depending on how much you make.
Once you have it made, turn off all flow in the tank. I usually do this during water changes.
Spread the kalk paste with a syringe over the polyps. I would only do about a 6" x 6" area at a time.
Let the kalk paste sit for 15-20 minutes. Let the kalk burn.
Then using a siphon hose ( I use a python water change hose ) vacuum as much of the kalk paste off as possible.
This prevents or at least helps minimize the amount of kalk getting spread around the tank and killing other corals.
Fill the tank back up.
I always would use minimum flow for the rest of the day.
Then after lights out, I'd turn the rest of the pumps back on.

Sometimes it took repeated attempts before they stopped growing back, but eventually I won out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back