Help required with transferring bacteria and critters from old gravel bed to new sand bed

Fishkeeperontheroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, can anyone help me with transferring all my organisms/bacteria/critters that are in my old gravel bed to my new sand bed? I have removed my old gravel bed and have it sitting in a separate tank for now. I have my new bed in my tank and dont want to mix the old gravel with the new fiji pink.. my old bed is full of small fan worms copepods and other small organisms.. is there any kind of trap I can set that will draw most of them in? I've read on other posts that a sponge can sometimes work but I cant see my fan worms being drawn to a sponge.. any help would be greatly appreciated as I really dont want to lose all the stuff I've built up over the years in my bed :) thanks again guys!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the fan worms by hand and transfer over. And then id use a large container to scoop some old sand and place in new tank and allow the critters to escape.

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah putting the old in a container or a bag of some type and leaving it open in the new tank will help get them over there.

Not certain you will get them all over, or all of them to move in, but otherwise it will be a big pain in the butt to get them over.

OP
OP
F

Fishkeeperontheroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! This may be a crazy question bit can fanworms move about? I mean can they move location by themselves? If so I think this may just work :) thanks again all!!

OP
OP
F

Fishkeeperontheroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still tiny, and mixed up in about 10kg of gravel, I'm pretty sure they do move about during lights off as a lot of mine started on the rocks and ended up down in various areas of the gravel, even in my new sand bed I can see 1 or 2 that have crept down off the rocks, if only there was some way to attract them.. thanks again guys!! All input greatly appreciated!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back