Help Royal Gramma does it have ick?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is swimming ok, not breathing hard and eating well I would not do a freshwater dip but get him out of the tank and do a definitive treatment. You will also need to treat the rest of your fish and leave your tank fallow for 76 days. Otherwise you won't have accomplished anything.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is swimming ok, not breathing hard and eating well I would not do a freshwater dip but get him out of the tank and do a definitive treatment. You will also need to treat the rest of your fish and leave your tank fallow for 76 days. Otherwise you won't have accomplished anything.
Already did the dip, he is resting now and the critters have disappeared off him.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what do most people use to treat a tank with no coral? I was reading about Seachem Paraguard and it sounds like it kills the ick totally in the tank over about a month, I think for SW.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick is a parasite that lives in the water column and then will attach to the fish during its life cycle.

The stress of the yellow tail damsel caused the fish to break out in ick. Damsel’s are very territorial and will stress out other fish in a aquarium.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick is a parasite that lives in the water column and then will attach to the fish during its life cycle.

The stress of the yellow tail damsel caused the fish to break out in ick. Damsel’s are very territorial and will stress out other fish in a aquarium.

I figured that had happened too. But I guess it is a good thing that I now know ick is in the tank. I talked to Seachem about their Paraguard product just now. It will totally wipe out Ick in your tank if you use it for 28 days. The royal gramma is resting peacefully on his own this morning. I have got to rehome the damsel.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick is always in your aquarium just as many other fish diseases Are. Do you plan on adding corals to your aquarium. If so you want to add all your fish first and make sure they are all healthy. Before you start adding corals. Because once corals are added you will not be able to use most of the med’s. As corals bring water into their bodies and the med’s will kill them.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust treating with Paraguard. The ingredients are not fully divulged and the list of ways to completely eradicate Ich from your tank is small.

1. Copper....can't use in the tank if corals will be in later. Will be absorbed by the rock and is very toxic to inverts and coral. Best used in a separate hospital tank and leave the DT fallow for 76 days.

2. Hyposalinity....lowering the salinity to 1.009 (and maintaining it accurately). Unfortunately there are strains of Ich resistant to this treatment. Advantage is it can be administered in a DT free of coral/inverts with fish only.

3. Chloroquine phosphate....Could be used in the tank and removed later. Unfortunately it's affected by the biofilter which makes it iffy in the DT.

4. Tank transfer method.....using two small hospital tanks to transfer the fish back and forth (with complete cleaning /drying between). for 4 transfers. Will completely eradicate Ich. Still need to keep the fish out of the DT for 76 days.

These are your options in addition to trying to manage/live with ich.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another, if more labour intensive way, if you don't have a QT big enough to house all your fish for the duration, would be to remove all rock and sand, store it dry, you'll have to reseed it with bacteria and whatnot later, or in a bin full of saltwater with a heater and powerhead, leave fallow for 76 days, and remove all inverts unless you're prepared to kill them all, then with a clean tank you can treat it however you want. Personally, I used Coppersafe on Velvet, but it also works on ich. Should, properly dosed and maintained, kill all the ich in your tank. Rigorous QT procedures on new additions should help keep it out.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are Jerks. If you had to pick I would go with the Gramma, but good luck catching that Damsel. lol
To catch the damsel, I did similar to what I do with a spider or other bug on a wall or floor. You put a cup over it and slide a piece of paper underneath and carry it outside. So, use a decent size lightweight food storage container and surround him in that and press the edges against the glass. Slide it upwards. Then take your net and slide it gingerly underneath the edge of the container and catch him in the net. Problem solved!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back