*HELP* Salinity SPIKE ( What is Best Option to Bring Down *Considering the SPIKE Happened a Week Ago*

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 25+ Years this hasn't happened to me, so I am looking for input. I know my choices but what is best.

Basically ONE OF MY TANK (LPS) had a Salinity Spike from 1.026 (which is my system normal) to 1.034 (Too high right now)
THE SPIKE PROBABLY happened a WEEK or So Ago
when I did two 25% water changes, over two separate days.

I understand slow correction is better, however maybe a bit faster at the start to bring Salinity down to a Safer level.

How bad is 1.034 to Corals/Fish (or is it tolerable, since fish are ok after a week).
If bad what is the minimum I should bring Salinity down to, to get it to a Safer Level, without doing more damage to (fish/corals) by doing a drastic drop.

If the CHOICE IS Keep the Fish Healthy, or Corals Healthy, I CHOOSE FISH (Since Coral Damage is done, and will progress. I can move some of the treasured corals I like out)

I just discovered this tonight when preparing for another water change for another Tank.
I got a new Bucket of Salt so tested the Alk. It should have been 7.5 but is was 12 (That got me scratching my head)
I first thought it was a bad bucket of Salt.
The salinity on my Pinpoint Probe showed 53 (1.026)
*** BUT THE CALIBRATION WAS WAY OFF ** and Salinity was much much higher.
I re-calbrated things, and compared to my Refractometer and my Salinity Checks are now accurate.

Let's skip the details on now this happened and get to the Facts.

My LPS Tank Salinity is way to high 1.034

Over the last week or so, my Mostly LPS Tank Corals have been stressed. I lost some LPS heads, and other soft corals are super stress.
Fish are doing fine (for now)

How fast should I bring down Salinty back to 1.026 (from 1.034)?

1A) Bring it down in many incremental steps (ie down to 1.031, and keep working downward over few days? or Weeks?
1B) Bring it down more quickly? To some Level to de-stress the corals (ie 1.030)

2) How to bring it down? (This would depend which Option I do above (1A) or (1B)
--------> By removing High Salinty water and Replacing with RO?
--------> By Water changes at the proper Salinity (That will take many iterations)

What is BEST WAY I Can bring DOWN Salinity Autmoatically?
-> I have spare high volume dosing pumps, so can automate the Water Changes. (Continuously small amounts, over long time)
-> Or I can slowly add RO water, and overfill sump, then Extract the Excess.

The Alkalinty of the Tank isn't as High as I expected. It's at 9.8, and it normal was around 8.5.

Last edited:

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most events and circumstances occur slowly in the confines of our marine aquariums. Therefore, often times, it is best not to panic and rectify the situation s.l.o.w.l.y! Look at it this way... if you, in your case have a salinity Spike but it happens slowly over time, often times our livestock will adjust as long as it is not substantial, after all they are living animals. The same holds true to reverse the scenario. Add fresh water to your tank, or better yet, remove some of your tank water and replace it with new salt water that is a little LOWER in salinity than your tank water. Continue this for a couple days till your tank water is adjusted down to the desired level again.
As for the dosing pump, you could use that however, I prefer the way I discussed above so I can be more in tuned and it allows me to be more hands on and monitor things, instead of setting it and forgetting it mentality.
Don’t be discouraged as this event has happened to many of us. Don’t panic, but don’t reverse the issue too quickly or more stress and death may be the result of your actions.
good luck...

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most events and circumstances occur slowly in the confines of our marine aquariums. Therefore, often times, it is best not to panic and rectify the situation s.l.o.w.l.y! Look at it this way... if you, in your case have a salinity Spike but it happens slowly over time, often times our livestock will adjust as long as it is not substantial, after all they are living animals. The same holds true to reverse the scenario. Add fresh water to your tank, or better yet, remove some of your tank water and replace it with new salt water that is a little LOWER in salinity than your tank water. Continue this for a couple days till your tank water is adjusted down to the desired level again.
As for the dosing pump, you could use that however, I prefer the way I discussed above so I can be more in tuned and it allows me to be more hands on and monitor things, instead of setting it and forgetting it mentality.
Don’t be discouraged as this event has happened to many of us. Don’t panic, but don’t reverse the issue too quickly or more stress and death may be the result of your actions.
good luck...
Thanks @Coralreefer1 for the input. Alway good to bounce thoughts off someone while thinking things through.

I agree, that Slow is best. Double checking things is even more important.
Also not to make quick assumptions....
....and I'm an figuring things out.

The salinity Spike DID NOT actually happen (Quickly like I first thought)....It probably happened slowly which is fine.

The Salinity probe wasn't as bad off as I thought (but I can't prove that since I recalibrated)

I just noticed THE SALT I bought is NOT the RED SEA Blue Bucket (for SPS dominiant with ALK=7.5 at 35ppm), it's the BLACK BUCKET (WHich actually has an ALK=12 at 35ppm).

That 12 dkH threw me off, and made me think (While tired at 1am) the Salinity was so high it raised Alk concentration too.

I swear I picked up the Blue Bucket, but I may have been distracted in the store and walked out with the Black One. It was Dark and both kind of look the same.

So I actually don't have a issue, I just prevented an issue by not over reacting, and noticing I have the wrong salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll sleep on this.....But I just thought of something since I am Stuck with Opened bucket of Black Red Sea Salt.

This maybe overkill thinking consider I do daily Auto (1 Gallon water changes on /90 Gal Tank) ....Since things don't really matter over a long term SLOW adjustment.

But here is my thinking:

If the Black Bucket Salt has high alk of 12 dkh, so if I dilute it to bring down Salinity a bit lower than my Target of 1.026 and use it for gradual water changes (daily via the auto water changer), that dilution will also lower the ALK in the New Water.

If I dilute the New Salt Water down to 7.5 Alk (which is my normal Blue bucket Alk), I won't have to change any thing on my 2 Part Dosing to Keep Alk stable (as if I was water changing with Blue Salt).
The only downside is the Trace Elements in the Black Salt will also be diluted.

-> It will be much slower than doing water changes with RO water to bring down salinty (less negative effect on other water parameters)

-> It will take less time that doing water changes with Target Salinity New Water.

-> Yet it will be a bit quicker so I don't have to wait for many many weeks.

------------> Another option is I just bring down the 12dkh Alk down to 7.5 with Muratic Acid and nothing else get affected (Keep Salinity at Target and longer wait to bring down Salinity)

I hope I explained that properly.

Last edited:

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the alk down slow!

As for salinity don’t do it in an hour but you could do it in a few days. I had a spike once and I just took a gallon or so out once or twice a day and replaced with rodi (In sump) until salinity was right.

I would say either dilute alk down or maybe see if u can sell it. Maybe ask LFS if they can do anything?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the alk down slow!

As for salinity don’t do it in an hour but you could do it in a few days. I had a spike once and I just took a gallon or so out once or twice a day and replaced with rodi (In sump) until salinity was right.

I would say either dilute alk down or maybe see if u can sell it. Maybe ask LFS if they can do anything?
Thanks @steallife904 for the Idea!!! I called the Store and they will swap the Bucket for me. ($NO CHARGE)

Got say thanks to Aquarium Depot for this kind of Excellent Customer Service
https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back