Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Ich has officially hit my tank. It is a 110gal reef tank and I have about 140+lbs of rock all glued and stuck together in it. There is no way I can take my rockscape apart and get all my fish. I went to my lfs and the only "reef safe" treatment they had was hypercure by sicce. They said that they had someone that worked there use it periodically and it never had any adverse effects and worked great for her. However, I didn't get to see or talk to her. I have searched EVERYWHERE trying to find reviews on this stuff and it's just not out there. I don't know if it's new or what. But this stuff is expensive and I've already bought it. If you have tried it, did it work? My tank is mostly LPS and I have a large bubble tip anemone. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much! I will post pics of the front, side, and back of the product so if there is any info you need you can find it there. I have never used it before. Like I said though, it would be impossible to catch all my fish to put into QT for treatment. So please give me reef safe advice:) thank you!

OP
OP
Ashley L

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are all 3 pics of the product with its info. Please let me know what you think. It is supposed to be a all natural formula. Thanks again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Ashley L

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best, its an ich management tool. No "herbal mixture" (as listed in the ingredients) is capable of eradicating ich.

I saw where polyp lab has a new product out that is supposedly reef safe called polyp lab medic that is getting rave reviews. My LFS didn't carry that product though. Only sicce hypercure. There's no way I can catch all my fish to QT them due to all my rock work being glued down. Is there anything else I can do? And what do you mean ich management? The girl that uses it at my LFS said she uses it every few months as a precaution. Do you think this is what I should do since I can't catch my fish? And would you trust it to be reef safe if it were yours? I'm sorry for all the questions, I haven't ever done this before when I couldn't catch my fish. I have mostly LPS in my tank and a large bubble tip anemone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich management means you're just managing the presence of the disease, instead of eradicating it. Despite how strongly I advocate ich eradication these days, I employed ich management for almost 30 years and this contains everything I know on the subject: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

However, if I were to go back to ich management today I'd probably give this a shot: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

Using an herbal remedy to combat ich in your DT might help for a couple of reasons:
  1. Will boost the fish's immune system to fight ich off naturally.
  2. May increase the thickness of the fish's mucous coat, making it more difficult for theronts to latch on or trophonts to stay attached.
However, being ich spends most of it's life cycle "off fish" - as tomonts encysted upon your rocks, substrate, etc. - this stage would be unaffected by an herbal remedy. And so long as just one free swimmer makes its way onto your fish (usually inside the gills), ich's life cycle will continue. Just in reduced numbers.

Polyp Lab Medic contains metronidazole (an actual medication) and peroxide, neither of which I would dose in the presence of corals/inverts. I think you're better off with the herbal stuff. ;)

OP
OP
Ashley L

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not work, trust me!! set up a quarantine tank pronto and put some copper at 0.5 asap, keep your tank fallow for 3 months....

I wish I could, but I can't take my rock out of my tank. It's all glued in and there is over 140 lbs of it. I couldn't begin to catch my fish to put them into QT. I did that when my tank got ich once before. But unfortunately that isn't a option for me right now. The only hope will be something reef safe, whether it is management or not. Do you have any other suggestions?

OP
OP
Ashley L

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich management means you're just managing the presence of the disease, instead of eradicating it. Despite how strongly I advocate ich eradication these days, I employed ich management for almost 30 years and this contains everything I know on the subject: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

However, if I were to go back to ich management today I'd probably give this a shot: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

Using an herbal remedy to combat ich in your DT might help for a couple of reasons:
  1. Will boost the fish's immune system to fight ich off naturally.
  2. May increase the thickness of the fish's mucous coat, making it more difficult for theronts to latch on or trophonts to stay attached.
However, being ich spends most of it's life cycle "off fish" - as tomonts encysted upon your rocks, substrate, etc. - this stage would be unaffected by an herbal remedy. And so long as just one free swimmer makes its way onto your fish (usually inside the gills), ich's life cycle will continue. Just in reduced numbers.

Polyp Lab Medic contains metronidazole (an actual medication) and peroxide, neither of which I would dose in the presence of corals/inverts. I think you're better off with the herbal stuff. ;)

Thank you so much for all the tips and information! I will definitely keep that in mind and get reading on those links

Mav_Gill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Ich has officially hit my tank. It is a 110gal reef tank and I have about 140+lbs of rock all glued and stuck together in it. There is no way I can take my rockscape apart and get all my fish. I went to my lfs and the only "reef safe" treatment they had was hypercure by sicce. They said that they had someone that worked there use it periodically and it never had any adverse effects and worked great for her. However, I didn't get to see or talk to her. I have searched EVERYWHERE trying to find reviews on this stuff and it's just not out there. I don't know if it's new or what. But this stuff is expensive and I've already bought it. If you have tried it, did it work? My tank is mostly LPS and I have a large bubble tip anemone. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much! I will post pics of the front, side, and back of the product so if there is any info you need you can find it there. I have never used it before. Like I said though, it would be impossible to catch all my fish to put into QT for treatment. So please give me reef safe advice:) thank you!
Some time has passed since you posted this, did it work? I was considering buying it too.

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just purchased this product. I’ll post back on my results. I just started the treatment 2 days ago.

sishooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had ick on my blue & yellow tang. Used Sicce Hypercure for 3 days(only put half of recommended dose) and freshwater dip twice. My blue & yellow tangs are doing fine and none of my corals or inverts are damaged. worked for me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back