HELP!!!!! Snowflake Eel trapped in overflow

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, my 30 inch snowflake eel went missing and I found him today at the bottom of my overflow box. The problem is that my overflow box is rather tall ( 42”) and I can’t get a net to the bottom of it. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to recover him. I tried to get some food to him while he was sitting at the bottom of the overflow, but he’s not interested at all as he seems quite stressed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD NEWS!!! THE EEL IS OUT & SAFE!!

Sorry for not updating the eel status sooner as It’s been quite a busy week. I was able to get the eel out a couple of days after my last post on Sep. 22, 2021.

As you all recall, the challenge was the fact that the 6”X10”X42” overflow had 3 pipes running through it (drain, return and one for auto top off), so getting a net in there and maneuvering it was impossible. I ended going with the “Elevator” idea, which ended up working. As shown in the attached pictures, I cut a 5.5”X9.5” piece out of clear plexiglass with openings to fit around the pipes and strings attached at 4 corners. Once I got the piece to the bottom and under the eel, I put another solid piece on top of it to cover the openings near the edge. Granted, it took about a dozen tries as the piece would tilt just enough for the eel to slip back down to the bottom of the overflow, but I was able to keep it level on one of the attempts to get him up close to the surface enough to grab him and pull him back into the tank. Yes, I was wearing thick gloves. Lol. Anyways, all is good now and the 30”snowflake eel is back in the DT. Thanks for all your support and suggestions. The elevator idea was great.

Attachments

• 0EBE2DFE-810D-459F-8072-FD3C3536B16D.jpeg
    0EBE2DFE-810D-459F-8072-FD3C3536B16D.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RealWorld

RealWorld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the top view of the overflow box and the pipes in it.

Attachments

• 6E56CEBB-695A-4E10-BDAE-25650DC10B3F.jpeg
    6E56CEBB-695A-4E10-BDAE-25650DC10B3F.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take full credit for the elevator idea ;).

However, I was really hoping for a video of an eel getting flushed down the drain hole into the sump.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I helped brainstorm a similar situation with a clown fish going over and into the overflow. Purchase a bunch of marbles…yes, marbles. Begin to put the marbles down into the overflow and before too long your eel will be within reach as the floor of the overflow rises. It may just swim or jump back into your tank. Good luck! Hope this works. :)
That's the "The Crow and the Pitcher". I love it! You've just shown a real-world reefing application for one of Aesop's fables. :)

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back