Help! Something burst out of my fishes head!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m completely freaked out! I have an Anthias who I thought had Lymphocytis Bumps on the head. Looked like cauliflower. Has had symptoms for about 6 weeks but appeared to be improving. Always behaved fine otherwise. Today I noticed it looked much whiter and seemed as if it was coming through the skin. A few minutes ago the fish started swimming around like it was going insane! When it calmed down I noticed there was a big hole in its head. No bleeding. It’s swimming around but sort of hanging out in a corner.

What is happening?!!!

This pic is from when I first saw the bumps about 6 weeks ago.
3EB8C13B-27F4-458F-A719-38386D30D702.jpeg 5D853188-6881-41C3-9DBA-76BD4B30D0EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First for me. I suspect if it was Lympho, the mass let go from the tissue, leaving a hole. If its eating well, it may very well heal in time. Watch for infection setting in.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never seen anything like that in aquarium fish. VHS can present like that in Aquacultured salmon, but is not a slow progressing disease and usually would have seen other symptoms by the time a lesion bursted.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never seen anything like that in aquarium fish. VHS can present like that in Aquacultured salmon, but is not a slow progressing disease and usually would have seen other symptoms by the time a lesion bursted.

Right? This is something I've never even heard of before much less seen. I feel so sorry for the poor fish :(

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any regular Neosporin? Not anything that says triple action or other descriptions, can apply to the sore with a q-tip. May help with any secondary infection while not suppressing appetite like some water added abx? Some liquid bandage products can also be used on fish, again the ones without additives. they used to make one just for fish i would use after removing anchor worms. But havent seen in years.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any regular Neosporin? Not anything that says triple action or other descriptions, can apply to the sore with a q-tip. May help with any secondary infection while not suppressing appetite like some water added abx? Some liquid bandage products can also be used on fish, again the ones without additives. they used to make one just for fish i would use after removing anchor worms. But havent seen in years.

I have it in an acclimation box right now. There is some Dragon's Breath algae in there. The fish is completely vertical and resting it's fins on the algae. It's still breathing but very not normal. If it doesn't die in the next little bit I'll go get some Neosporin.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole in the head disease maybe. Not super familiar with it, but certainly looks like it and fits with the name.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like uronema to me. Fairly common to starts as a white looking spot and then the parasite/secondary infection appear as missing flesh.

But it never ever had any other sores or anything for 6 weeks. And no problems swimming until the thing burst out of its head. That is common with Anthias though. I've just never seen it in person. Plus, the fish was getting food with Metro/Focus for the last 6 days because I thought one of my fish might have internal parasites. It was getting skinny and I couldn't catch it so I just treated them all.
And, the fish was fine all through QT and now 6 weeks in DT. Showed up after I put it in DT.

Also, the fish came as a trio and the other 2 have never showed any signs of anything wrong.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back