Help! Something's Up With My Poor Anemone!!

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing all of your parameters again and maybe having an lfs fest them? I’m not really seeing anything that should be giving the anemone so much trouble, so maybe one of your tests got messed up somehow or is expired.
I've tested them again, and they're basically the same (except for the calcium and alk. The calc is a little higher now, and the alk is a bit lower).

I've checked the tests too, and they haven't expired yet. I could try giving a LFS a water sample and ask them to test it for me.

What else should I check for ? I'm running out of ideas here

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing him inflated like that is a positive sign. Since it's still alive that means that it's not ill. Nems will often attach under rocks, my guess is that makes it easier for them to take a break from the light when they need it very quickly or their bases are more sensitive to the light. Dark slime coming out of the base is waste, white zig-zaggy stringy stuff (as I recall) with a gaping mouth is bad. Just remember, everything you see up to this point is not the end of the world, if it were it would be gone by now. You've seen many indicators of a stressed nem though.

Very serious indicators of a nem on its way out (within a week, my observations):
1. Won't stay attached, we're talking hasn't stuck to something in 24hrs.
2. Gaping mouth for more than a few hours.
3. Stays constantly deflated for more than a day. Deflating multiple times a day is ok.
4. Reduces size by more than 50% for a week and refuses food. These tend to eventually move into a crevice and disappear forever. Maybe water or chemical warfare from what I've been able to discern, especially when there is no clown present. Had this happen when adding different high-end btas.
5. Refuses food for more than 3 days (maybe longer if it takes in huge food such as silversides). Mine eat small amounts daily (small pellets and mysis).
6. A tear in the base/foot which causes an infection. This will approximately double in size daily.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
imo looks good from what i see,possibly splitting?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing him inflated like that is a positive sign. Since it's still alive that means that it's not ill. Nems will often attach under rocks, my guess is that makes it easier for them to take a break from the light when they need it very quickly or their bases are more sensitive to the light. Dark slime coming out of the base is waste, white zig-zaggy stringy stuff (as I recall) with a gaping mouth is bad. Just remember, everything you see up to this point is not the end of the world, if it were it would be gone by now. You've seen many indicators of a stressed nem though.

Very serious indicators of a nem on its way out (within a week, my observations):
1. Won't stay attached, we're talking hasn't stuck to something in 24hrs.
2. Gaping mouth for more than a few hours.
3. Stays constantly deflated for more than a day. Deflating multiple times a day is ok.
4. Reduces size by more than 50% for a week and refuses food. These tend to eventually move into a crevice and disappear forever. Maybe water or chemical warfare from what I've been able to discern, especially when there is no clown present. Had this happen when adding different high-end btas.
5. Refuses food for more than 3 days (maybe longer if it takes in huge food such as silversides). Mine eat small amounts daily (small pellets and mysis).
6. A tear in the base/foot which causes an infection. This will approximately double in size daily.
Well, I haven't really tried feeding it in a while, so I can try that later today and see what it does.

And the stuff that came out was kinda white and stringy, but it wasn't like that for very long. The mouth ended up closing up again after a little while..

I'm just confused as to what I should really do at this point. It just seems to be doing its own thing. :[

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have a question guys.

Before any of this started happening with the nem, I had gotten a bottle of CoralAmino for my corals (I was recommended this by another reefer who saw my corals).

Would it be a good idea to dose this even though the nem is acting this way? Or should I stay away from it for now?

Rickyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the reply man.

I currently have an AI Prime HD. Here's the current setup I have for it.

I chose this setup because this guy from my LFS told me that this would be pretty good for a mixed reef. I've been to this place quite a few times in the past and feel pretty comfortable with them. However, I'm open to the idea of using another setup if this one doesn't seem suffice.

Screenshot_2020-02-09-12-42-24.png
I think there’s a brs spectrum somewhere for most ai lights. I suggest you go with it, I run it on mi hydra 32 and everything’s pretty happy

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello have a rt now pic,not sure of additive hopefully others will

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there’s a brs spectrum somewhere for most ai lights. I suggest you go with it, I run it on mi hydra 32 and everything’s pretty happy
Are you talking about the one I circled?

If so, I originally had that one, but was recommended the one I have now (the one from Feb 9).

Maybe I'll make an entire new thread on what type of light would be the best for my tank (there are soo many options! I can't tell which one's the best).
Capture+_2020-02-16-12-23-06.png

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello have a rt now pic,not sure of additive hopefully others will
As usual, it's closed up/deflated right now. It tends to open back up later in the day for some reason though

I also hope someone can help me decide on the coralamino too. I hope I didn't order it for no reason! Lol

20200216_122908.jpg 20200216_122913.jpg 20200216_122918.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honesty sound normal,looks normal,somebody will chime in with info on chems ,watching

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honesty sound normal,looks normal,somebody will chime in with info on chems ,watching
I hope someone does too!

I kinda wish someone could just give me a specific light spectrum for my tank, tell me exactly what's going on with my nem and call it a day.

But reefing ain't that easy, is it? :p

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no worries help is here , she doing fine in my opinion

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nem will find the light it wants ,looks like moving or splitting,,little help here guys with lighting

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes not a bad idea:)

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I think the nem is acting normally. Mine deflated every night. Perhaps yours deflated because it has enough light for one day (also would explain it liking it lower. Sometimes in this hobby there is nothing to do but observe and maintain our parameters. I think this is one of those times.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I think the nem is acting normally. Mine deflated every night. Perhaps yours deflated because it has enough light for one day (also would explain it liking it lower. Sometimes in this hobby there is nothing to do but observe and maintain our parameters. I think this is one of those times.
I guess that would make sense..

I was just concerned for it because I know nems don't normally act this stressed out, and I wanted to see what I could do for it.

Guess I just have to play the waiting game and see what happens. :/

Also, do you have any thoughts on the coralamino question I had asked earlier in the post?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that would make sense..

I was just concerned for it because I know nems don't normally act this stressed out, and I wanted to see what I could do for it.

Guess I just have to play the waiting game and see what happens. :/

Also, do you have any thoughts on the coralamino question I had asked earlier in the post?

Sorry, I am not familiar with that product and not sure. I don’t see how it would negatively affect the anemone, but perhaps someone else knows. That also may be a good topic for the chemistry forum.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back