Help : Stock List - 114 Gallon Display - 21 Gallon Sump - Mixed Reef - Cade 1200 S2

Salmaston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

114 Gallon Display - 21 Gallon Sump - Mixed Reef - Cade 1200 S2​

I am needing some ideas/help for a complete compatible stock list.
Mixed Reef.

Currently :
Blue Throat Trigger
Yellow Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
3 Engineer Gobies(I believe I messed up getting these for the size they'll get)
Pair of Cleaner Shrimp

Wanting :
Swallowtail Zebra Angelfish
Copperband Butterflyfish
Powder Brown Tang or ?

I know it depends on bioload/etc - but am I wanting more than my system can handle ?

(posting pic of tank/filtration soon)

Thanks

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am needing some ideas/help for a complete compatible stock list.
Mixed Reef.

Currently :
Blue Throat Trigger
Yellow Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
3 Engineer Gobies(I believe I messed up getting these for the size they'll get)
Pair of Cleaner Shrimp

Wanting :
Swallowtail Zebra Angelfish
Copperband Butterflyfish
Powder Brown Tang or ?

I know it depends on bioload/etc - but am I wanting more than my system can handle ?

(posting pic of tank/filtration soon)

Thanks
I would say you have enough room however, the tang already in there will give the CBB a hard time (I had a scopas and he brutally murdered my CBB when I tried to add one)

I forgot one important question:
Tank dimensions?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, cancel out the CBB. What about reef-safe wrasses compatible with the fish I have/want ?
Yes, they can work but since the tank is only about 4’ I would say it’s maxed (Triggers get quite big, even just the blue throats get to 1’ and are a very active fish).
The only Acanthurus tang I can think of that will fit in a 4’ tank is the convict tang.
Wrasse that could fit are:
- Any Cirrhilabrus (Avoid C. Scottorum unless it’s an Aussie)
- Most Halichoeres (Most meaning the ones that stay around 6”)
- Any Macropharyngodon (The tang will give these guys a harsh time during introduction)
- Some Anampses (Same thing as with the leopards)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think there were any reef safe triggers. Have I been wrong?
Actually, the whole Xanthichthys genus tend to be the most reef safe in the family because their mouths are more curved up instead of pointed straight forward. In that genus the blue throats are the most reef safe and most common (I prefer Xanthichthys ringens personalliy). This isn’t meant to hijack the thread but I will just put two photos of the mouth difference in the “not reef safe” triggerfish (There is one person I know of one here that has been able to keep the less reef safe triggers in a mixed reef).
The Clown triggerfish - Balistoides conspicillum (One of the more aggressive triggers)
C6FFEB3C-07E4-453D-A598-0564C47480B2.jpeg

Notice how his mouth is more pointed towards where as on this species below, it’s more curved up instead of pointed out.
The Sargassum triggerfish, Xanthichthys ringens
FFD0BB55-C44B-4DDD-9378-16BDFC0D7ABC.png

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the whole Xanthichthys genus tend to be the most reef safe in the family because their mouths are more curved up instead of pointed straight forward. In that genus the blue throats are the most reef safe and most common (I prefer Xanthichthys ringens personalliy). This isn’t meant to hijack the thread but I will just put two photos of the mouth difference in the “not reef safe” triggerfish (There is one person I know of one here that has been able to keep the less reef safe triggers in a mixed reef).
The Clown triggerfish - Balistoides conspicillum (One of the more aggressive triggers)
C6FFEB3C-07E4-453D-A598-0564C47480B2.jpeg

Notice how his mouth is more pointed towards where as on this species below, it’s more curved up instead of pointed out.
The Sargassum triggerfish, Xanthichthys ringens
FFD0BB55-C44B-4DDD-9378-16BDFC0D7ABC.png

That's some great info. If I hadn't gone the route of having little shrimp I'd be adding one.

@OP looking forward to a pic. I'm upgrading to a 120g and love seeing the different scapes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some great info. If I hadn't gone the route of having little shrimp I'd be adding one.

@OP looking forward to a pic. I'm upgrading to a 120g and love seeing the different scapes.
I would be having a sargassum if I had room - I only have room for a 6’ tank and since I have no clue how active they are, I don’t really want to try get one for my 4’ tank.
I would also love to see the OPs tank currently!! It sounds like it’s filled with activity and there is nowhere that isn’t active.
If the OP wants recommendations on the smaller fish then, I can give a few (I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank, and also run an 18” cube at the same time).

OP
OP
Salmaston

Salmaston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is right after a cleaning and ticked off coral.

Not so sure why the coralline looks so bad in this pic; the only algae is a few small patches of hair on the middle shroom rock. -maybe the phone lens.

Trigger and Yellow Tang are besticles...never leave each other's side.

1635466998936.jpeg

1635466980189.jpeg

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is right after a cleaning and ticked off coral.

Not so sure why the coralline looks so bad in this pic; the only algae is a few small patches of hair on the middle shroom rock. -maybe the phone lens.

Trigger and Yellow Tang are besticles...never leave each other's side.

1635466998936.jpeg

1635466980189.jpeg
Are your lights on different spectrums?

Back