Help! Successful settings for an ATI powermodule 36" 2x75w LED 8x39w T5??

KollyPAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I took a break from reefing for several years and BOY a lot has changed - everything is so techy (except me)! 6 years ago programming your lights meant plugging them into manual timers LOL. I am setting up a new 90g custom size tank (39Lx26Dx22H) to fit into an existing built-in entertainment center which limits the height at which I can mount my light. I bought an ATI hybrid powermodule 36" 2x75w LED 8x39w T5 (no WiFi) and with just an inch above for the fans it is sitting at 7.5 inches above the water. I know it would ideally be at least 8 inches, but without major damage to the entertainment center, this is the best I could do.

So, here's my question....does anyone have this light with settings that you love? Would you be willing to share the details with me so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? I am much better at the manual labor and plumbing than I am with the techy tank stuff. It came with the settings that the previous owner used and loved, but he had it mounted 12 inches above the water and I'm afraid the intensity needs to be dialed back, but I have no idea how much. What would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The current bulbs are: 5 blue+, 1 purple+, 1 actinic and 1 aqua blue special.

Thanks in advance!

65419~2[1].jpeg IMG_20201206_222246711[1].jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get any help with settings?

OP
OP
K

KollyPAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get any help with settings?
Thanks for responding! No, I never got any help. I'm making it through my initial cycle with only blues to avoid algae growth, but in another week or so I should be good to full spectrum, so I would LOVE some guidance .

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the previous owner gave you their settings, but the fixture was 12" off the water. How far off the water is it in your set up? What kind of power levels was the previous owner using?

My first guess is you shouldn't have to lower the levels much, if at all. The change in PAR between 12" and say 6" off the water is very small when you get to being 6" ir 12" underwater. Air does not reduce PAR much at all. It's more about the light spread and covering the entire tank. And your t5's do that better than leds.

OP
OP
K

KollyPAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the previous owner gave you their settings, but the fixture was 12" off the water. How far off the water is it in your set up? What kind of power levels was the previous owner using?

My first guess is you shouldn't have to lower the levels much, if at all. The change in PAR between 12" and say 6" off the water is very small when you get to being 6" ir 12" underwater. Air does not reduce PAR much at all. It's more about the light spread and covering the entire tank. And your t5's do that better than leds.
He had the LEDs at 90% and T5s at 100% 12 inches off the water and the tank wass 24 inches deep.

I have it hung 7.5 inches above the water and the tank is 21 inches deep. My big concern is the intensity being too great for the corals toward the top. I hate to find out the hard way when they start to struggle y'know?

Thank you again for your input

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was you, I'd start with settings like leds at 60% and t5 at 80%. That should be very conservative and very safe for your system.

You can then raise levels over time. Corals are fairly adaptable to light if given enough time. You could also try a 'Canary in a Coalmine' test. Get a frag of an sps that plates and set it as high or higher than all the other corals. If you push the levels too far, that should be the first coral to show signs of too much light.

OP
OP
K

KollyPAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was you, I'd start with settings like leds at 60% and t5 at 80%. That should be very conservative and very safe for your system.

You can then raise levels over time. Corals are fairly adaptable to light if given enough time. You could also try a 'Canary in a Coalmine' test. Get a frag of an sps that plates and set it as high or higher than all the other corals. If you push the levels too far, that should be the first coral to show signs of too much light.
Perfect! Thank you!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back